Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card UPDATE 7/19

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card

it absolutely matters if it's within their rights. how can you file a complaint with the cfpb for a lender doing what is in its best interest?

the banks aren't here to help you, they're here to help themselves like any other business owner is.
Message 11 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's ridiculous is: they lore you in with a 16 month 0% APR, but than won't let you take advantage of it. That's what's ridiculous. It's a "bait and switch", and the worse part about it is, they hurt your credit scores by showing you maxed out and raising your UTI. That's the problem I have with them. I understand, it's their card, their lending you money. But it's not right if they lure you in with a 0% APR for 16 month's, but than when you use it, they drop your CL. Bad business. In the future I'm using all my Amex cards as charge cards, paying them in full every month. I'll use Cap One for all my credit card purchases. If it wasn't for the 0% APR, I would be more understanding of Amex and their AA.
Message 12 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where did I say about filing a complaint? I could give a crap less what Amex does...once their contact with Costco does, so does mine. My card is on good standing..I charge about 150 per month on it and that's all they get from me.
Message 13 of 149
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Wow...Why am I not surprised by Amex. There are more and more complaints about them. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 14 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about: If you don't like their policies, don't do business with them. Please stop it with this intervention and regulation nonsense. They are regulated to make sure they do not have to be bailed out, not so Joe Blow can go out and buy a Tesla on his AMEX and pay it over the next 10 years.
Message 15 of 149
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This company needs a consumer interventionist! !!!!

Ok one is approved for an Am Ex card with a $3500 limit in September. Uses $2650 and pays $100-$200 timely monthly payments. Has a $1000 balance in July with 5 months to go in the 0% interest period. 

That is an over $1600 reduction in the balance in 9 months. Nothing wrong with that. Excellent payment history. With Capital One that would get you a cli. That is what a revolving account is for. 

Let's stop taking Am Ex's side on this. Complaints need to be filed and if this is out of the parameters of the CFPB, then a highly organized movement must be started to combat this unjustifiable behavior of Am Ex and other banks. This cannot stop without an AGGRESSIVE consumer movement. 

No, AMEX and other CCC do not make these decsions out of the blue: "Who will we CLD today Charlie?"  "The computer says this one, Bill"   "No, I think we should CLD the next person on this random list of cardholders.... Done!"

What we most certainly do not have, and do not get without a lot of questions being asked of the OP in threads like this, is the Rest Of The Story. There is a lot of generalized speculation in these threads, but the fact is the CCC had a reason to take action on one of their customers, based on some mix of information they saw about that customer. End of game.

The OP can move on, but whatever mix of actions caused the AA isn't solved by doing that. It may be the number of auto loan inquiries, we did not get an exact figure for that. In other cases people have had dozens of new inquiries when a dealer goes hog wild looking for that last 0.01% reduction in APR, and the additional $20 in his bonus check.

And when this goes up before Congress, you can bet the CCC will have The Rest Of The Story. The hearing committee will say "Oh. Ok.... What's next on our agenda?"

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 149
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Chase/Amex/Citi and BofA all will take AA on a person if the wind blows in the wrong direction.  Granted at least BofA usually gives you a courtesy call prior.  It is kinda sad they give limits, but if you say goto 50% or 70% of them then AA can happen..  I understand it is within their rights as it is their money, but what is the point of having said limit if you cannot use it?  That makes it just a pretty $ on your credit report and nothing more basically.  I have an Amex with 23k, but could I use that 23k without them getting freaked out before I even came close to that $ figure?  Only Amex knows that, but most likely I would get some form of AA in the future unless I paid it off the following month or half of it off.  Only one lender I really know that doesn't take AA and I respect them for that and that is Cap1.  I talk alot of smack about Cap1, but least you know you can use that CL without being slapped for using it.  At the same time I agree if said person makes 10k a year (just making up a figure here) and charges 2500 on credit card of 3500 limit I would be a bit worried being a lender.  In this case if person was paying back 100-200 a month back on a 0% apr, I think it is a shame what Amex has done.

So ya most of us have CL's that are big, but if we actually use them then chances are we will be penalized.. Why not just give out a real CL vs an inflated one that a lender really feels comfortable with vs. a "fake" one.  Each lender wants a persons business so they basically beat the previous highest CL, hence part of the problem as well.

Message 17 of 149
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
How about: If you don't like their policies, don't do business with them. Please stop it with this intervention and regulation nonsense. They are regulated to make sure they do not have to be bailed out, not so Joe Blow can go out and buy a Tesla on his AMEX and pay it over the next 10 years.

Sad thing is all banks will be bailed out by the tax payers again if their is an economic meltdown, no matter how conservative they are..Look at the 2008-2009 meltdown, their isn't a bank on there that didn't take a handout from joe taxpayer

Message 18 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you must carry a balance, do it with an issuer that welcomes balances with open arms like Discover or Capital One. The balance transfer option is there.
Message 19 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about specific balance transfer cards? Should we be scared if we do a BT in simplicity, Diamond preferred, basic BOA Americard..smh. People shouldn't have to fear issuers to use credit cards the way they were meant to be used.
Message 20 of 149
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.