Did you mean: 

AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card UPDATE 7/19

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card

@red259 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

The "something else going on here" IMO is unrealistic expectations, which is kind of Amex's fault. They give out 3x CLIs like candy and mislead people, when really what they need to do is STOP the 3x policy, IMO.

If they simply pared down their CLIs to more reasonable levels, nobody would end up with a 60k limit, and this would not happen as frequently. Of course it's up to the individual not to max out the card and pay minimum anyway, but the huge limit sometimes over tempts people.

I don't think its unreasonable expectations. I know my amex limits tend to be consistent with my chase limits and they don't giove out those high limits to people as easily as cap 1 does, so I do not think amex needs to start giving lower limits at all. I also do not think its unreasonable for people to expect to be able to use their card without AA assuming they are acting reasonably. DId I miss something here? Who has a 60k limit? Certainly not OP. In fact amex pretty much becomes much more of a stcikler when you start getting up at that level wanting to see income verification etc. 

It was an example, the point is that some people have limits far, far, far greater than what they need and that can lead to trouble. With Amex doing the 3x thing frequently it contributes to that. However, at the end of the day it's personal responsibility. Some people just don't handle credit cards well though (not OP).

Message 71 of 149
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I expect that few people outside this type of forum know about the 3x CLI policy anyway, so no great need for Amex to stop it.   Now people outside these forums probably don't get too bent out of shape by CLDs either, so it's not a "real world" problem.

I'm pretty sure people outside these forumns do get out of shape about it as well. If someone is getting balance chased on their credit card they are going to be annoyed. All of a sudden they can't charge new things. Of course those people are likely to just go out and get a card with a different lender and just throw amex out. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 72 of 149
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I expect that few people outside this type of forum know about the 3x CLI policy anyway, so no great need for Amex to stop it.   Now people outside these forums probably don't get too bent out of shape by CLDs either, so it's not a "real world" problem.

I'm pretty sure people outside these forumns do get out of shape about it as well. If someone is getting balance chased on their credit card they are going to be annoyed. All of a sudden they can't charge new things. Of course those people are likely to just go out and get a card with a different lender and just throw amex out. 

I agree about balance chasing, but general CLDs, I am not sure that people would feel as hurt as they do here, where CLs is part of self-worth.

Message 73 of 149
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree about balance chasing, but general CLDs, I am not sure that people would feel as hurt as they do here, where CLs is part of self-worth.

It's kind of OT but anyone who defines themselves or finds worth in their credit limits should probably find something more fulfilling. Having good credit gets you good limits, yes, and it can be an achievement, but there are much greater things one can achieve to make themselves feel worthy and fulfilled. Credit should not serve this purpose, as that leads to over-apping, addiction and just plain unhealthy habits, IMO. It should not rule your life or define you.

Message 74 of 149
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I dunno people in general are pretty vain. Smiley Happy

;
Message 75 of 149
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well even people who are here if they think these CLs has something to do with their self worth then they really need to reevaluate their priorities as that is just unhealthy. 

;
Message 76 of 149
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well even people who are here if they think these CLs has something to do with their self worth then they really need to reevaluate their priorities as that is just unhealthy. 

Agreed. Extremely unhealthy. Sadly there are a few people on here who I think definitely define themselves by it.

Message 77 of 149
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Agreed. Extremely unhealthy. Sadly there are a few people on here who I think definitely define themselves by it.

Come on ! Are you saying I spent all these years chasing the wrong goal? 

Didn't expect that from you. What am I going to live by now?

Message 78 of 149
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Come on ! Are you saying I spent all these years chasing the wrong goal? 

Didn't expect that from you. What am I going to live by now?

Yes, we have to be FSR to that segment who actually have no self-worth, EXCEPT for a decent CL.  Don't take it away from them!

Message 79 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's back up a moment here. AMEX "3X CLI" fame isn't because they will give you a 3X CLI just for asking. It is earned. Secondly, they do not always give out 3X. Sometimes they don't even do 1.2X. And sometimes they freeze your card out of nowhere and say they will call and don't and then send an email that if they don't hear from you, they will close it.
Message 80 of 149
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.