Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card

@Ghoshida wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I expect that few people outside this type of forum know about the 3x CLI policy anyway, so no great need for Amex to stop it.   Now people outside these forums probably don't get too bent out of shape by CLDs either, so it's not a "real world" problem.

I'm pretty sure people outside these forumns do get out of shape about it as well. If someone is getting balance chased on their credit card they are going to be annoyed. All of a sudden they can't charge new things. Of course those people are likely to just go out and get a card with a different lender and just throw amex out. 

I agree about balance chasing, but general CLDs, I am not sure that people would feel as hurt as they do here, where CLs is part of self-worth.

Well even people who are here if they think these CLs has something to do with their self worth then they really need to reevaluate their priorities as that is just unhealthy. 

Agreed. Extremely unhealthy. Sadly there are a few people on here who I think definitely define themselves by it.

Come on ! Are you saying I spent all these years chasing the wrong goal? 

Didn't expect that from you. What am I going to live by now?

lol

Message 81 of 149
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I expect that few people outside this type of forum know about the 3x CLI policy anyway, so no great need for Amex to stop it.   Now people outside these forums probably don't get too bent out of shape by CLDs either, so it's not a "real world" problem.

I'm pretty sure people outside these forumns do get out of shape about it as well. If someone is getting balance chased on their credit card they are going to be annoyed. All of a sudden they can't charge new things. Of course those people are likely to just go out and get a card with a different lender and just throw amex out. 

I agree about balance chasing, but general CLDs, I am not sure that people would feel as hurt as they do here, where CLs is part of self-worth.

Well even people who are here if they think these CLs has something to do with their self worth then they really need to reevaluate their priorities as that is just unhealthy. 

Agreed. Extremely unhealthy. Sadly there are a few people on here who I think definitely define themselves by it.

Come on ! Are you saying I spent all these years chasing the wrong goal? 

Didn't expect that from you. What am I going to live by now?

Yes, we have to be FSR to that segment who actually have no self-worth, EXCEPT for a decent CL.  Don't take it away from them!

Ye shall seek the CL, and the CL shall set you free. 

Also, haters gonna hate! 

(CL-seekers mottos. Nothing short of the quest for the holy grail)

Message 82 of 149
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

CALLED Amex this morning

Reasons Given for AA:

Recent returned Payment with AMEX (more on this later)
TO many INQ within the past 12 months (auto INQ)

AVERAGE AGE OF ACCOUNTS IS TO short (granted)

FICO SCORE (718 at the time, higher than when she was approved)

We were given 2 options, go through a review and wait 30 days to POSSIbly restore credit line

or by SEPT 19 pay off 450$ (50% of the current 900$ balance) 

We chose Option 2.

Now what makes me reallly mad is this. the first Reason given. I completly would undertand normally, HOWEVER when it happened it was a screw up with out bank, and the money not pulling from the right account (probably our fault) but before AMEX even knew the payment was going to be returned we called and told them HEy this payment is going to be returned do you need anything from us or what can we do to make sure this doesnt affect us, and the lady told us shed credit us the returned payment fee and then everything will be good. I asked us if this would hurt us, or our relationship with amex, or our spending abilty or lead to so sort of FR. She said to me its water off the back and nothing will happen over this.

it was a 300$ returned payment on a 1k balance on th BRG card. even tho the payment was returned it didnt cause a late payment. this is like the 2nd or 3rd time ive been miss informed about important info as an AMEX customer

we will balance transfer it all to either Discover (5k limit) or MAYBE app for barclay arrival.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 83 of 149
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@lukepwnsall wrote:

UPDATE:

CALLED Amex this morning

Reasons Given for AA:

We were given 2 options, go through a review and wait 30 days to POSSIbly restore credit line

We chose Option 2.

Now what makes me reallly mad is this. the first Reason given. I completly would undertand normally, HOWEVER when it happened it was a screw up with out bank, and the money not pulling from the right account (probably our fault) but before AMEX even knew the payment was going to be returned we called and told them HEy this payment is going to be returned do you need anything from us or what can we do to make sure this doesnt affect us, and the lady told us shed credit us the returned payment fee and then everything will be good. I asked us if this would hurt us, or our relationship with amex, or our spending abilty or lead to so sort of FR. She said to me its water off the back and nothing will happen over this.

it was a 300$ returned payment on a 1k balance on th BRG card. even tho the payment was returned it didnt cause a late payment. this is like the 2nd or 3rd time ive been miss informed about important info as an AMEX customer

we will balance transfer it all to either Discover (5k limit) or MAYBE app for barclay arrival.

If too many inquiries is part of the problem, apping for a new card is not the solution.

Message 84 of 149
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card UPDATE 7/19

Bingo!!! That will do it. Good you can pay half.
Message 85 of 149
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@lukepwnsall wrote:

UPDATE:

CALLED Amex this morning

Reasons Given for AA:

We chose Option 2.

Thanks for the update if you do option B) they gave you do they reinstate your previous CL?

The real reason why the returned check, the others such as inquires are just tacked on.

Message 86 of 149
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@lukepwnsall wrote:

UPDATE:

CALLED Amex this morning

Reasons Given for AA:

We chose Option 2.

Thanks for the update if you do option B) they gave you do they reinstate your previous CL?

yes that will reinstate the previous CL.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 87 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, the returned payment. This is known as a mortal sin with AmEx and usually gets you marked for "leper" status with them. Years could pass and their computers will still hold it against you.

Message 88 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX AA action on DGF everyday card UPDATE 7/19

@OP..how many IQs? If you called them and they knew about the returned payment I still think that's bull.
Message 89 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lukepwnsall,

Thanks for the update.  The returned payment is the main trigger here and in your initial post about being AA'ed that was not stated. Inquiries alone don't cause AA but something far far alarming which is the returned payment here.

There is a thread here if I can find it about a user who wanted a CLI to $24k but Amex always declined him.  The thread went on and on and then later revealed that Amex sent him a letter of a returned payment hence the denials.  When asked about how much the returned payment was for he stated $20.

So always see it from Amex's perspective /put yourself in their shoes.

Message 90 of 149
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.