cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AF count towards spend requirement?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

AMEX AF count towards spend requirement?

Does the $450 fee count towards the required $3k spend? I am trying to spend as little as possible on this poorly "rewarding" card. Benefits are great, rewards are lame.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX AF count towards spend requirement?

I understand it is a fee and not a purchase, so it should not count. Just think for some odd reason they might include it.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Woot.JPG

Still admire that offer. Wishing I would have apped for the PRG as well under the 50k offer. Used the PRG for rewards and the plat for benefits.

Message 3 of 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I woudnt bank on it and did you get this card because of the AMEX hype? Because you sound like you made a huge mistake. If you are not going to use all the benefits and rewards then $450 up front AF isnt worth it.

Dont get me wrong because I love AMEX and carry 5 cards all together. But counting each dollar and keeping it to a minimum to ensure you get the bonus seems you shouldnt have gotten the card

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 10
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Remember, AMEX makes money on the AF. Just like any other programs, prepaid legal, auto repair policies,  etc. the value comes only if you utilize the services offered. I have received multiple offers to upgrade my Amex Gold. I have not accepted as I would not utilize enough of the benefits to equal or offset the AF.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I would say it does not. I although I haven't reached the 3k yet, I'm aiming for 3.45k
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

It does not count. 

Message 7 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I've seen some people posting that their AF did in fact count towards the minimum spend requirement, but it's not clear to me that it will count.

I'd recommend sending them an on~line secure message, so if they tell you that it counts then you'll have documentation if there are problems.

Congrats on the 100K offer ~ that's great !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

I woudnt bank on it and did you get this card because of the AMEX hype? Because you sound like you made a huge mistake. If you are not going to use all the benefits and rewards then $450 up front AF isnt worth it.

Dont get me wrong because I love AMEX and carry 5 cards all together. But counting each dollar and keeping it to a minimum to ensure you get the bonus seems you shouldnt have gotten the card

I use the benefits significantly more than I use the card. I feel the card has pretty lame rewards. It would make a lot more sense to get the PRG & the Plat. Use the Plat for benefits and PRG for spending. Though I have cards that offer good enough rewards that I don't think I need to spend $175 per year on another card.

I have used the lounge access probably a dozen times already. Concierge has been helpful several times, significantly more so than visa sig concierge. 

I got the card mainly for the 100k point offer, but I am beginning to love the benefits and may keep it around past the first year. Just wish it had bonus point categories Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I've seen some people posting that their AF did in fact count towards the minimum spend requirement, but it's not clear to me that it will count.

I'd recommend sending them an on~line secure message, so if they tell you that it counts then you'll have documentation if there are problems.

Congrats on the 100K offer ~ that's great !

I should just try spending the $3k before the 2nd statement, then only if I need to charge anther $450.

I use my freedom for small purchases and gas, then flexperks for most everything else. I pretty much have a card for any bonus category. It is hard to find spending worth putting on the plat.

Any ideas were the plat would come in? Based off my line up of cards, do you see a category that I am not getting bonus's on? The 1pt/$1 can be more than 1% if I find a good mileage deal. Just want to try to make the best use of the reward cards.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.