Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX APR% reduction ..

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

AMEX APR% reduction ..

So I started a thread a few days ago, can't find it now, thus creating another one...  I asked if people were sucessful on lowering their APR%'s on AMEX cards..  I never carry a balance persay, but hey if you got to you mise well have the best terms right?  So I put in a request on my Delta card to get the APR reduced along with asking when I can try for my CLI again which will be the 9th btw.. And I won, got my APR reduced, hopeuflly that means AMEX likes me as it was system generated and the CSR couldn't do anything about it, so hoping for the 3x on my ED card as well on the 9th which wil be my 90 days.. Anyways, see Chat log below of discussion, you never know unless you try!

Ray: You can ask me as many questions you can.
you: Any chance I can get a better APR on the Delta as well? I try to always get the best APR with all my cards... I know someone that just recently got theirs dropped to the 12.7 range
you: Gotta ask, never know unless you trySmiley Happy
Ray: Greg, I will definitely make a try for you. I hope the system lets me bring it down.
Ray: Please note that if the system denies then I am helpless on this.
you: I understand, worth a try!
Ray: Thank you so much for your understanding.
Ray: (Smile)
Ray: Greg, we won!
Ray: I got an excellent news for you.
you: woot Smiley Happy
Ray: We are changing your standard APR for Purchases from a rate of
Ray: Prime+15.99% , which is currently 19.24% to a rate of
Ray: Prime+12.99%, which is currently 16.24%.

Message 11 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

AMEX Apr reduction?

So I have read getting APR reductions is possible with AMEX.. Granted I still have like 12 months or so of 0% APR left, but what is the approach people use to get APR reductions with revolvers w/amex?  Chat?  Curious as everyone should always want a better deal.. This doesn't just apply to AMEX I try to get them on all my cards, doesn't hurt to ask and sometimes you will receive

Message 1 of 61
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Apr reduction?

I simply asked though live chat a few months ago. Managed to go from 17.xx% to 14.24% on my Hilton card. Went as far as to ask to swap my BCP (12.99%) and Hilton interest rate, but that didnt get me anywhere Smiley Tongue

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 2 of 61
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I usually try chat. They always tell me that I don't have any offers.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the inspiration!  I just got off live chat with Amex.  Their first response was, rest assured your APR hasn't increased.  I explained that I actually wanted it lowered.  If I make a big purchase, I'd like it to be through Amex (highest limit, purchase protection) and I wouldn't feel comfortable at my current rate.  He came back to me < 1 minute later with:

15.24% -> 12.24%

My lowest APR card!  Next is Barclay @ 13.99%.

Message 4 of 61
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the inspiration!  I just got off live chat with Amex.  Their first response was, rest assured your APR hasn't increased.  I explained that I actually wanted it lowered.  If I make a big purchase, I'd like it to be through Amex (highest limit, purchase protection) and I wouldn't feel comfortable at my current rate.  He came back to me < 1 minute later with:

15.24% -> 12.24%

@Anonymous lowest APR card!  Next is Barclay @ 13.99%.

Sweeeeet! Congrats.

When I got mine lowered I used chat as well, 15.24-12.24 like that! Easy peasy.

That's the lowest they are able to go right now.

Message 5 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Good info all.. Also grats to the one that got the APR reduction.. Granted most of us don't carry a balance, but nice to know if we ever get in a pinch and have to it will hurt less

Message 6 of 61
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

This thread inspired me to try lol and I got a reduction also. Kinda nice

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 7 of 61
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

I too went from 17.xx% to 14.24% via chat! It doesn't hurt to ask.Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 8 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Dang I am Jelly...I should try since I created it lol...  Doubt they will do it when one card is still on 0% apr.. guess I can try on my Delta card or that a set APR% for anyone?

Message 9 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.