Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AU Question.

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

AMEX AU Question.

Technically not an AU, since Amex calls them additional cardholders, but here's the situation. I applied for a Zync on Thursday and was approved. I should get the card in a few days, it's my first and only Amex.

My sister is 17, and has no credit at all. I was thinking of adding her as an AU to one of my cards so she can have somewhat of a credit history, to make it easier for when she goes to apply for cards. I figured my Amex would be the best one to do that, because not only can I set a low limit for her, but if she ever opens up an Amex sometime in her lifetime, it'll be backdated to 2012, won't it? (I wish someone had done this for me when I was 17).

Only concern I have is does Amex have a minimum age for additional cardholders? She'll be 18 in November, but I'd rather add her now. I'm assuming they report AUs to all 3 credit bureaus, correct?

There's no harm in me adding an AU as soon as I get the card, is there? I know Amex is PMS-y at times, but I mean.. they ask you when you're applying if you want any additional cardholders, so I don't think they'll see it as a negative thing, will they? At the end of the day, that's another $15 in their pocket every year, and more money run through my card. But from what I've read you can never be sure with Amex.

Edit: Also, will it show up on her CR as being the AU on a Zync, or will it show up as if it's her own Zync?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX AU Question.

The age requirement is 15.  I just added my 15 year old son a couple of months ago as an additional card member on my Optima Platinum card.  The card earns rewards points and I figured since he was going to be at the mall with his friends every weekend, he might as well earn some rewards points on my money that he is spending. Smiley Happy

I haven't pulled a credit report on him yet to know if it is showing up on his report.  I'm hoping it will, but I wanted to give it a few months before I checked.  Maybe someone else knows for sure?

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Minimum age for additional cardmembers is 15.  Sounds like a good idea to me, and I do think that any future Amex cards your sister gets will be backdated to this year.  Amex frequently encourages me to add additional cardmembers, so I don't think they will look at it negatively.

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

For sure add!!!

Message 4 of 6
NewSurrender
Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

The age requirement is 15.  I just added my 15 year old son a couple of months ago as an additional card member on my Optima Platinum card.  The card earns rewards points and I figured since he was going to be at the mall with his friends every weekend, he might as well earn some rewards points on my money that he is spending. Smiley Happy

I haven't pulled a credit report on him yet to know if it is showing up on his report.  I'm hoping it will, but I wanted to give it a few months before I checked.  Maybe someone else knows for sure?

That's what I was thinking. My mom gives me sister spending money for when she goes out with her friends, so she might as well use my card and get me points while she's at it. Not like it'll matter much though, considering the Zync is probably the worst card I have, rewards wise. I'm doing this mainly to help my sister out.

Definitely let me/us know when you check his report, what it says and if it shows up.

Unrelated note - Your Optima has access to rewards? For some reason I was under the impression that Optima/Oasis cards didn't have rewards, but I guess I've been proven wrong.

@Anonymous wrote:

Minimum age for additional cardmembers is 15.  Sounds like a good idea to me, and I do think that any future Amex cards your sister gets will be backdated to this year.  Amex frequently encourages me to add additional cardmembers, so I don't think they will look at it negatively.

Heh, glad to hear Amex encourages additional cardmembers. I can see why, more money for them with no risk involved.

Message 5 of 6
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

That's what I was thinking. My mom gives me sister spending money for when she goes out with her friends, so she might as well use my card and get me points while she's at it. Not like it'll matter much though, considering the Zync is probably the worst card I have, rewards wise. I'm doing this mainly to help my sister out.

Definitely let me/us know when you check his report, what it says and if it shows up.

Unrelated note - Your Optima has access to rewards? For some reason I was under the impression that Optima/Oasis cards didn't have rewards, but I guess I've been proven wrong.

I'll definitely let you know once I check his CR.  I added him in March and I'm thinking 3 months should be long enough to report - so I'll probably check early next month.

Yes, my Optima Platinum earns membership rewards points just like my Gold card does.  I got this Optima card in 1989 - it is a revolver.  I guess you could say it is "old school" since this card is no longer available to apply for.  No, it's not part of the Oasis program.  I am sure you are correct about Optima cards in the Oasis program - they probably are not eligible to earn rewards points.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.