cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

tag
eighthundred

AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

Hello,

I was on my dad's AMEX as an AU since I was in HS, so almost 30 years. I always kept the card for emergency purposes or to purchase stuff my parents requested. I had to file BK last  year, so my lawyer advised me to remove myself as an AU and to add myself back on after. After my BK was discharged a few months, my dad added me back on as an AU because I need it for travels. AMEX asked for my SSN but he didn't know it. I got my card and have been using it for about 8 months now. AMEX keeps sending letters requesting for my SSN. Based on some info I've read online, I am hesitating to provide my SSN because of my BK. AMEX was one of my husband's creditors that was listed in our joint BK, but not one of mine. We didn't have any joint credit/charge cards.  Should I just keep "losing" their letters? Or am I required to provide the SSN? I'm afraid they will retract my card. BTW, my dad did the same thing for my brother when he filed for BK but they don't ask for his SSN. Weird, huh. His BK was a year prior to mine, in 2011.

Any thoughts/advice, please?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

I'm just speculating, but I think that it's probably OK to give this info to them.   I could be mistaken but I don't believe that AMEX blacklists Additional Cardmembers who have a BK, as long as they didn't burn AMEX in their filing.     It sounds like your husband may have burned AMEX but you weren't on that account, is that correct ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

@pizzadude wrote:

I'm just speculating, but I think that it's probably OK to give this info to them.   I could be mistaken but I don't believe that AMEX blacklists Additional Cardmembers who have a BK, as long as they didn't burn AMEX in their filing.     It sounds like your husband may have burned AMEX but you weren't on that account, is that correct ?

+1  In the past, AMEX doesn't blacklist unless you burned them directly and even then, they seem to make "mistakes".  You should be okay unless they changed their rules.  Either way, they insist on SSN now so way for your to avoid it long term.  Might as well get it over and see if you are blacklisted or not.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 17
eighthundred

Correct. I was NOT on my husband's account but we filed BK together.

Message 4 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@eighthundred wrote:

Correct. I was NOT on my husband's account but we filed BK together.

That shouldn't matter.  Unless you BKed them directly, you are okay.  If I remember correctly, even if you are ACM on bankrupt account, you don't get blacklisted.  However, I don't think you have a choice.  They insist on that now and your ACM card will eventually stop working.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 17
WilliamKF

I was added as an AU very shortly after BK and had no issues since Amex was not IIB, however, my wife could not be added because she did IIB Amex and requesting to add her resulted in a FR for the primary card member.

Message 6 of 17
phonic
Contributor

Was the card sent directly to your home or your parents?

Personally, I'm surprised they keep asking for it and just don't pull your CR with the information they do have on hand. First, if you were already an AU, they should have your SSN already. Even as an AU, you should still have an Amex profile which is linked back up. Second, a SSN is not required to pull a CR. Having a name and address is enough to get it for them, though if the card was sent to your parents and you never lived there that might not help. 

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@WilliamKF wrote:

I was added as an AU very shortly after BK and had no issues since Amex was not IIB, however, my wife could not be added because she did IIB Amex and requesting to add her resulted in a FR for the primary card member.

This is what I've seen/heard whenever any individual that had an AMEX IIB and then attempts to be added as an ACM/AU to another cardmember's account who otherwise has never had prior negative history with AMEX.

Message 8 of 17
newUser0
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@WilliamKF wrote:

This is what I've seen/heard whenever any individual that had an AMEX IIB and then attempts to be added as an ACM/AU to another cardmember's account who otherwise has never had prior negative history with AMEX.

+1

Message 9 of 17
dds2be
Valued Member

my parents did a bk a few years back and amex was included in the bk, and i just opened a gold prg and added both my parents as an authorized user, and i also added my dad to my amex spg (as a test to see if it would be approved before apping for prg for them) and it was approved with no issues. so if amex allowed them to be AU and they burned amex in the past, then having a bk w/o amex should be absolutely no issue.

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.