cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Acct # on CR different than on card?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

AMEX Acct # on CR different than on card?

Just got a score alert that a new TLwas added to my report from AMEX.  No problems there...was expecting it to post any day now.  But the account number on top of the score alert (e.g. XXXXXXXXXX1234) bears no resemblance to my card number.  I looked on the statement and I do not see another number that is close to this number.

Should I be concerned?  Does AMEX use different numbers to report than the last 4 of your card on your CR?  I guess I'm used to VISA/MC, where the last 4 numbers do match the number on my cards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Acct # on CR different than on card?

It is normal. In fact there is no absolute rule that account number on CR must match credit card number.

Message 2 of 5
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Amex is the one issuer that "scrambles" your account number on each bureau. This is not a new instance, as it has been observed for many years.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SisterGirl wrote:

Amex is the one issuer that "scrambles" your account number on each bureau. This is not a new instance, as it has been observed for many years.

SisterGirl

+1, good practice in my opinion.  It's a simple implementation technically, but credit report information does get given to an enormous number of people now: having the credit report account number being different than your actual account number, limits shenningans from fraud to identity theft.  Consumer benefit.

        
Message 4 of 5
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SisterGirl wrote:

SisterGirl

+1, good practice in my opinion.  It's a simple implementation technically, but credit report information does get given to an enormous number of people now: having the credit report account number being different than your actual account number, limits shenningans from fraud to identity theft.  Consumer benefit.

Exactly !

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.