Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Advice

tag
umair
New Contributor

Re: AMEX Advice

Amex has its own fancy way to treat customers... why dont you try BOA or chase?

Message 11 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Even if you do getapproved for the charge, I highly doubt they will let a new AMEX accountholder such as yourself go through 5K a month off the bat.  I read a post a while back from someone on this forum that dealing with AMEX is like a date, requires some wining and dining before you get to home plate!

This is probably highly dependent on your HHI.  I received my PR Gold in October.  I charged $4000 the first month with no issues.  I put $6000 through it next month.  In December I had a lot of work travel and put close to $10K on the card.  I did have an old Amex card though, and my card was backdated.  Not sure what effect my prior history could have had, but since the previous card had a limit of $700, I don't know that it could have had that much effect. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@umair wrote:

Amex has its own fancy way to treat customers... why dont you try BOA or chase?

So does BofA Smiley Wink

http://www.bankofamericasucks.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Message 13 of 17
MagicShot
Contributor

Re: AMEX Advice...

Yeah,  with AMEX your gonna have a hard time with recent baddies, I got approved with 1 baddie from 6 years ago but everything else is completely clean.  I would say try BofA they are pretty good if you can explain it if you call the back door number. I have 3 accounts with them and they are really friendly and easy to talk to.  Nothing like sub-prime lenders that dont care about their customers.  You can alway try AMEX, and recon it they might but I really doubt it with any baddies within the past 2 years.

my 2 cents.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So on a whim I just decided to apply for the Amex Zync card.  I know it's the easiest one to get, and since I want to buy a home about this time next year, I wasn't going to apply for anything else between now and then and figured the inquiry wasn't going to kill me either way.  To my somewhat surprised excitement, instant approval.  

Since it's only one pull, and things have been coming up aces for me lately, I figured I'd roll the dice on a Premier Rewards Gold.  Approved!

Then, since I'm already playing with house money, and again only the 1 inquiry, I figured I'd try for Platinum because I have some absurdly long airport layovers.  I really didn't think there was any shot in hades of this going through, but once again, approved!

Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped right now.  I'll cancel the Zync and Gold cards when they arrive, as well as some of the other sub-primers I was using to help rebuild, leaving the 2 oldest ones open.  Now I close up shop, get on my knees in the dirt and garden the everloving @#$% out of my reports knowing that the next pull will be by  a mortgage lender next March/April.  I'm still in a state of disbelief.  

Message 15 of 17
anderl
Frequent Contributor

BELIEVE IT! CONGRATS!Smiley Happy
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 16 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So on a whim I just decided to apply for the Amex Zync card.  I know it's the easiest one to get, and since I want to buy a home about this time next year, I wasn't going to apply for anything else between now and then and figured the inquiry wasn't going to kill me either way.  To my somewhat surprised excitement, instant approval.  

Since it's only one pull, and things have been coming up aces for me lately, I figured I'd roll the dice on a Premier Rewards Gold.  Approved!

Then, since I'm already playing with house money, and again only the 1 inquiry, I figured I'd try for Platinum because I have some absurdly long airport layovers.  I really didn't think there was any shot in hades of this going through, but once again, approved!

@Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped right now.  I'll cancel the Zync and Gold cards when they arrive, as well as some of the other sub-primers I was using to help rebuild, leaving the 2 oldest ones open.  Now I close up shop, get on my knees in the dirt and garden the everloving @#$% out of my reports knowing that the next pull will be by  a mortgage lender next March/April.  I'm still in a state of disbelief.  

your a perfect example of what I have been saying all along... if you are going to be approved for a charge card, you can choose which one you want... 1 is not easier to get then the others.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.