Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX/American Express SUSPENDED my Accounts because of PAYPAL Transactions

tag
AvaMarie77
Established Member

AMEX/American Express SUSPENDED my Accounts because of PAYPAL Transactions

I am in total shock right now. I am also extremley embarrased because my cards declined while at a business dinner!!

American Express suspended both of my Everday cards 15k limit and 3k limit because I bought used furniture from my UNCLE through PAYPAL. 

I had no idea that this was NOT ALLOWED!!! I didn't know that in no shape or form can you pay relatives through PAYPAL using AMEX. I so SAD right now. Had I known I would have never ever used AMEX. I would have just paid another way Smiley Sad

Has this ever happend to anyone else?

American Express requested that I turn in my last two bank statements with the account I pay my AMEX bill with. I use this account for bills only, about $5k-7k deposited monthly just to pay my bills...What are they looking for? I tried to ask the rep but there is a HUGE language barrier every single time I call. 

Total shock right NOW! 

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX/American Express SUSPENDED my Accounts because of PAYPAL Transactions

@AvaMarie77 wrote:

I am in total shock right now. I am also extremley embarrased because my cards declined while at a business dinner!!

American Express suspended both of my Everday cards 15k limit and 3k limit because I bought used furniture from my UNCLE through PAYPAL. 

I had no idea that this was NOT ALLOWED!!! I didn't know that in no shape or form can you pay relatives through PAYPAL using AMEX. I so SAD right now. Had I known I would have never ever used AMEX. I would have just paid another way Smiley Sad

Has this ever happend to anyone else?

American Express requested that I turn in my last two bank statements with the account I pay my AMEX bill with. I use this account for bills only, about $5k-7k deposited monthly just to pay my bills...What are they looking for? I tried to ask the rep but there is a HUGE language barrier every single time I call. 

Total shock right NOW! 

Unfortunately PayPal to relatives or your own business is definitely a no-no with Amex.

If you would like to keep the cards then send what they need and let them go through the FR routine.

Pay pal can be used for MS or money laundering so they flag almost all PayPal transactions. They deem suspicious.

i have my Freedom linked to PayPal and have never had an issue.

good luck

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 2 of 52
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

So does this mean I CAN'T pay progressive with PayPal OR my card?? 😓😓😓😭

Message 3 of 52
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Good to know! I won't pay friends or family through PayPal with AmEx.

Message 4 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

.Doesn't Pay Pal Charge 3 percent fee?

Message 5 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! Didn't know I can launder money with PayPal.
Message 6 of 52
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yes paying realatives especailly people with same last name with certain CC's are huge red flags as mentioned as can be used for MS or to get around Cash Advance fees, etc. among other things.  Amex is know to be the most strict of any lender although sure others take notice as well.  I have no issues paying business using amex or other cards, but individuals or family heck no with cards I care about.

Message 7 of 52
AvaMarie77
Established Member

I wasn't charged a fee...I will have to ask my Uncle if he was charged a fee. 

I didn't even know that people do this type of thing to get money. What is MS AND MC?

I stand to lose 18k in Credit for a $400 sectional!!!!!!! I really had no clue at all that it wasn't allowed. 

Called back after sending my bank statements and I was told it could take 5-10 DAYS for them to make a decision. The rep told me that my cards may be cancelled all together or my lines of credit will be lowered. 

No warning no nothing. 

Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvaMarie77 wrote:

I wasn't charged a fee...I will have to ask my Uncle if he was charged a fee. 

I didn't even know that people do this type of thing to get money. What is MS AND MC?

I stand to lose 18k in Credit for a $400 sectional!!!!!!! I really had no clue at all that it wasn't allowed. 

Called back after sending my bank statements and I was told it could take 5-10 DAYS for them to make a decision. The rep told me that my cards may be cancelled all together or my lines of credit will be lowered. 

No warning no nothing. 

MS is Manufactured Spending. I don't think we're allowed to talk about it.

as soon as i saw you mention sending your uncle money, that was my first thought as to why they closed it

Message 9 of 52
AvaMarie77
Established Member

Thank you for responding. I am glad I know now. I

I will never use paypal in any type of way again. 

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.