Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX App Confusion

tag
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

AMEX App Confusion

Maybe I'm just being naive and holding out for a little hope with AMEX.

On 9/9 I applied for and was instantly denied the AMES BCE card.  The reason for the denial was that I had previously used a credit counseling service.  True.  Though I've never had an AMEX, I understand and accept this reason. 

Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail from AMEX, dated 9/10, stating that my application is still under review and I was asked to confirm if I am married or not. 

So the instant denial came before telling me my application was still under review...thus the confusion.

Any chance they really are still reviewing? 

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX App Confusion

Have you checked the status online to see if it says denied?

Message 2 of 10
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

It does say 'denied,' and is also dated 9/9.

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Your current score is too low for AMEX approval. Thats what they told me for a score near 660. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 4 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@aurelie00 wrote:

Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail from AMEX, dated 9/10, stating that my application is still under review and I was asked to confirm if I am married or not. 

Any chance they really are still reviewing? 

Absolutely.  They initially denied me on Zync but gave it to me once I verified my address and employer with them.

There's no guarantee you will get the card after confirming the information they need, and I agree your score is a little low for the BCE, but why pass up the chance?

You might get lucky.  Go for it!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Good luck? I have found that status website can be woefully inaccurate when it comes to updating current info.
Message 6 of 10
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure that's what happened in your situation but that's exactly what happened to me some time ago with Discover. 

There might have been a software glitch on server (Amex) side or client (your browser) side while processing the application (or saying specifically while clicking "submit" button) that resulted in two identical apps being submitted seconds one after another. 

Normally systems are set up to cut duplicate apps and automatically decline the second one - this might've been a result that appeared on your screen - so Denial of app #2. App #1 might have gone through "unnoticed" on your screen and you might now be receiving requests re your Application #1.

I don't want to hold out hope for this as disappointment might be even worse in this case, but as I mentioned before this is EXACTLY what happened to me when I applied for DS More in 2012 and I only found this out after calling their CS.

Give them a call and good luck! 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 7 of 10
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Yep, I'd give them a call. They were very helpful when calling in.

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 8 of 10
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

keep us posted...

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 9 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

give them a call.

it could be that you were denied by the computer systems, but it is now being manually reviewed by a human being.

Citi seems to do this quite a bit as well. It may just really be the wording the system gives you. Rather than to give you a pending message, which it should be, it just tells you that you're declined (for now).

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.