Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Authorized User Backdating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Authorized User Backdating

So say my sister has an AMEX whose MSD is around, say, October 2010. And I decide to get added as an AU now. Will my MSD be her original MSD, upping my AAoA, or would it just do September 2014, when I "officially" join AMEX?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Authorized User Backdating

It would be September of 2014. ACM's no longer get the perk of backdating. This will establish your relationship with Amex, meaning all of your future cards will have an MSD of 2014. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Now if you could sort of explain to me how it all works. Because I've read around, and if I'm not mistaken, some people say to apply for an AMEX towards the beginning of the year, say January, because it'll backdate it to January of the previous year or something like that. Is that correct or am I just misunderstanding it all? 

Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I see. Now if you could sort of explain to me how it all works. Because I've read around, and if I'm not mistaken, some people say to apply for an AMEX towards the beginning of the year, say January, because it'll backdate it to January of the previous year or something like that. Is that correct or am I just misunderstanding it all? 

The January scenario only works if you have been a cardmember.  

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

Message 4 of 9
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's correct. If you apply for an Amex today, your card will report with an opening date of 09/2014. 

When you open an account in January of 2015, your account will report with an opening date of 01/2014. Thus, in order to take advantage of the maximum effect of backdating, a person is advised to apply for an Amex in January. However, depending on how thick your file is, the great effect of the few extra months will vary. 

Message 5 of 9
dize
Regular Contributor

I have a question regarding AU amex backdating. I had an AU on my dad's gold card when I was like 13. I believe that card was IIB back in like 07-08 though. Would I get backdated to that when I get an amex? I think I only had it for like 6 months as he got it for me before I went on vacation with a friend.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just think it's slightly related and the answer might help some others out.
Message 6 of 9
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

@dize wrote:
I have a question regarding AU amex backdating. I had an AU on my dad's gold card when I was like 13. I believe that card was IIB back in like 07-08 though. Would I get backdated to that when I get an amex? I think I only had it for like 6 months as he got it for me before I went on vacation with a friend.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just think it's slightly related and the answer might help some others out.

Yes, they may ask for your card # if the system cant identify you as an existing member.

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was an AU on my mothers account and once I opened my own account in August 2014 it backed dated to 1992. This was fantastic for me since I have been living in Europe the past 14 years and moved back and had no credit history so had to start all over. 

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dize wrote:
Would I get backdated to that when I get an amex?

Only way to find out is to place the request if they don't automatically backdate.

@dize wrote:
I had an AU on my dad's gold card when I was like 13.

Picking nits but you were an AU.  It's your dad that had an AU.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.