Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BC - When to re-apply?

tag
saggy1
Established Member

AMEX BC - When to re-apply?

I got an instant deny for one of these a couple days ago, still have not found out why. Honestly I am glad because I would much rahter have the BCP after doing a bit more reserch. I currently have a Zync and Gold card. I really want the BCP because of the benefits and because it is a credit card. My question is how long should I wait before I apply for the bcp? I do not want to jump the gun too soon even though it is only a sp if I get declined, but do not want to wait 6 months to a year if you guys think I have a good chance at getting it earlier than that.

THX

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX BC - When to re-apply?

@saggy1 wrote:

I got an instant deny for one of these a couple days ago, still have not found out why. Honestly I am glad because I would much rahter have the BCP after doing a bit more reserch. I currently have a Zync and Gold card. I really want the BCP because of the benefits and because it is a credit card. My question is how long should I wait before I apply for the bcp? I do not want to jump the gun too soon even though it is only a sp if I get declined, but do not want to wait 6 months to a year if you guys think I have a good chance at getting it earlier than that.

THX

Wait for the reason. Since you are an AMEX customer I'm guessing the denial reason is high internal risk score. In that case you really DO want to wait for at least a year.

Message 2 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

How long have you had Zync and Gold?  What does FICO and credit profile look like?  How much have you been putting rhrough charge cards?  You're PIFing right and not using that pay over time feature?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Amex will make you wait at least 30 days before app'ing again.

As stated above, you really need to wait for the denail letter, so you know what you need to correct.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Amex will make you wait at least 30 days before app'ing again.

As stated above, you really need to wait for the denial letter, so you know what you need to correct.

+1.   You can try again in a month.

In terms of re~applying, since it's a soft pull you can try again soon IMO, you really have nothing to lose.    Obviously you'll need to address the denial reason(s) listed though.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 16
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Google Amex application status. Enter your info. There's a link next to where it tells you denied with the reasons fthe being denied. It's not as in depth as the letter. Or you can just call and ask the csr the reasons for the denial. The soonest you can re app is the 31st day after denial.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 16
heirophant
Established Contributor

@saggy1 wrote:

THX

I have seen a few posts refernce the fact that somebody has 2 charge cards.  I have been wondering what the logic is to having them both.  Is there some advantage I am missing?  Are you spending a bunch on a particular pack and earning full MR points for it or something?

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 7 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

I have seen a few posts refernce the fact that somebody has 2 charge cards.  I have been wondering what the logic is to having them both.  Is there some advantage I am missing?  Are you spending a bunch on a particular pack and earning full MR points for it or something?

ZYNC earns MRE points, but when you pair ZYNC with other charge card it earns MR points as well.

Message 8 of 16
saggy1
Established Member

I tried going to the site and checking like a previous poster said. That part of the site is down at the moment so I will chack later. One thing I noticed is when is listed the cards I applied for it listed the GPR, which I did not apply for. I just got the regular gold card. Thought that was weird. I got the card in the mail and it is in fact the regulr one.

Anyways I will check later on the reason for denial.

Even if it is only a sp, is it bringing too much attention to my accounts if I apply again in only 31 days?

Message 9 of 16
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@saggy1 wrote:

I tried going to the site and checking like a previous poster said. That part of the site is down at the moment so I will chack later. One thing I noticed is when is listed the cards I applied for it listed the GPR, which I did not apply for. I just got the regular gold card. Thought that was weird. I got the card in the mail and it is in fact the regulr one.

Anyways I will check later on the reason for denial.

Even if it is only a sp, is it bringing too much attention to my accounts if I apply again in only 31 days?

Make sure you know the different between the Gold Preferred Card (regular gold) and the Gold Premier Rewards card.  Don't worry that has confused many Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.