Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE... Shocked!

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE... Shocked!

Congrats

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 11 of 19
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@justforting wrote:

@southernsweetie16 wrote:

So I'm a 21 year old college student, and I'm working on establishing a good credit profile before I graduate.  I've had a Discover student card for a little over two years, and an Amazon store account for about a year.  I also have a Kohl's charge. My limits are pretty low- $500 at Discover, $1000 at Amazon, and $300 at Kohl's.

I've always kept low balances, and have never been late on a payment.  I recently went on a bit of an app spree... I wanted more available credit.  Not to use, but just because I know it looks good.  First, I asked Discover for an increase, and they raised my limit to $1000.  

Well, then I started applying for a couple cards.  I was pretty happy with my results, but AMEX just absolutely shocked me.  They gave me a $5400 limit on the Blue Cash Everyday.  That's... over 5x my current highest limit.  I don't think I need to try for the 3x CLI in 61 days... I am afraid they'll reduce my limit.  Haha.

Sorry for being long-winded, I'm just excited right now!

Amex typically gives much higher CL than other credit card companies. Congrats!

Not initially, but many of us have found that out through CLI's via their singular increase policy.  At least from what I've observed here, typically mixed file recovery folks typically get a limit in line with the rest of them; that said, even my own 1K tradeline was trivial to make to 3K, and that is easily my highest, and my next CLI chance is coming up in a few months.

@Anonymous: Congratulations!  In the modern economy, 2 years of solid credit history and a pristine credit report is actually pretty awesome, and you've done an incredibly smart thing establishing it prior to graduation.  Recently we've seen a few Amex approvals for students in similar situations to yours doubling or tripling their current credit lines with a Blue Cash approval.  May signify a trend, thank you for posting your experience!

I hope this is the case for me too! I am 22 (turning 23 next week!) with 735 Fico scores and I feel that it is time to get in with Amex after being strong with Chase. I'll let you know how it goes!

Message 12 of 19
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@justforting wrote:

So I'm a 21 year old college student, and I'm working on establishing a good credit profile before I graduate.  I've had a Discover student card for a little over two years, and an Amazon store account for about a year.  I also have a Kohl's charge. My limits are pretty low- $500 at Discover, $1000 at Amazon, and $300 at Kohl's.

I've always kept low balances, and have never been late on a payment.  I recently went on a bit of an app spree... I wanted more available credit.  Not to use, but just because I know it looks good.  First, I asked Discover for an increase, and they raised my limit to $1000.  

Well, then I started applying for a couple cards.  I was pretty happy with my results, but AMEX just absolutely shocked me.  They gave me a $5400 limit on the Blue Cash Everyday.  That's... over 5x my current highest limit.  I don't think I need to try for the 3x CLI in 61 days... I am afraid they'll reduce my limit.  Haha.

Amex typically gives much higher CL than other credit card companies. Congrats!

Not initially, but many of us have found that out through CLI's via their singular increase policy.  At least from what I've observed here, typically mixed file recovery folks typically get a limit in line with the rest of them; that said, even my own 1K tradeline was trivial to make to 3K, and that is easily my highest, and my next CLI chance is coming up in a few months.

@Anonymous: Congratulations!  In the modern economy, 2 years of solid credit history and a pristine credit report is actually pretty awesome, and you've done an incredibly smart thing establishing it prior to graduation.  Recently we've seen a few Amex approvals for students in similar situations to yours doubling or tripling their current credit lines with a Blue Cash approval.  May signify a trend, thank you for posting your experience!

It's YMMV with AMEX initial CL's. Mine was 15,000.

Here's my old thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AmEx-BCE-Targeted-250-Bonus-Offer-Approved/m-p/1220683#M341206

Message 13 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 14 of 19
911GT3
Established Member

Congrats on the approval and the great initial CL! That being said, 21 yr old college student with an Amex at your current CL is great as it is! If you are on a limted income , as most college students, I recommend sticking with the CL and any auto CLI from Amex. Dont go looking for CLI that may lead to a potential debt mess. HOWEVER, this may not be the case with you, depends on how responsible an individual is. When you are done with school start you career, you will have many chances to pull the trigger. The track you are on , your AAoA and if you maintain a solid payment history, it wont matter much if you have a $5K CL with Amex or a $15K CL with Amex.

Message 15 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Awesome! BCE is definitely on my list.

Out of curiosity Lexie, why do you think you'd be denied for it?

        
Message 16 of 19
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your credit management and best of luck to you with your educationSmiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 17 of 19
Luscher
Valued Contributor

If you dont mind me asking what did you list as your income and what is your credit score? I am the same age/college student and have a little more credit available to me and am looking at the BCE as a potential future card.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 18 of 19
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Congraz man.. I'm really jealous of you
I want that card but was declined even thru their recon dept
Unfortunately I will have to settle with the CC's I did get approved and hope maybe in a year or 2 I'll get approved for another application with BCE

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.