Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE Success story!!!

tag
Akosua
Established Member

AMEX BCE Success story!!!

Felt compelled to share my story since this forum has helped me so much in my endeavors to rebuld my credit. I'll keep it short, I promiseSmiley Happy

2010- Enrolled DMP to lower my bills and make it one sum amount

March 2013- Completed DMP program

March 2013- Applied and approved for Citi Home Depot CL $1250, Chase Freedom $3500 and Credit Union CL $500 offered to me with auto loan for $44,000

June 2013- Start considering mortgage app, happened on this forum through google and signed up for Equifax Score Watch.  Score at time was 667 FICO and learnt alot about credit rebuilding and was able to improve my score to 681 by August! Just by following the advice ppl had given on the site.

August 2013-My birthday month and was feeling lucky so decided to bite the bullet and apply for some cards I thought I will never qualify for.

Applied on same day for, Chase Sapphire Preferred online, app went into review status, called the application status line and automated system said I was approved for $5,900 CL, Applied for AMEX BCE online and got an instant denial. Applied for Discover IT card online app asked for identity verification, so called the number, app approved by credit analyst but not for the advertised terms, he countered at NO INTRODUCTORY O% APR for 12months, higher APR 19.9% and only $2,000 CL, reason being my credit card accounts were opened less than 6 months ago. I took it. I felt I had my foot in the door at least and cld work on getting CLI later.

Felt defeated by AMEX BCE, the reason for the denial was that I had used a credit counselling service in the past. so called the backdoor Executive Office number listed on here the next day, first attempt, I got a lady who transferred me to a rep who said to me they could not approve me because, it was their internal policy not to extend credit to anyone who had ever been enrolled in Debt Counselling Service or bankruptcy, explained to him that I hadd completed the program and had paid all my balances in full, he said NO WAY we're giving you anything! I got mad and hung up. Called a second time after 5 mins. Got a female rep who said it cld be sent to  review with another HP on my credit file. or contact Equifax and let them take the Debt Counselling Statement off my credit fail, was unable to get to a live person at equifax so gave up on that route and though what the heck let me call again, so again I called the Executive Office number and this time I got JAMES. I explained to James that I wanted my app recon because I had since rebuilt my credit since enrolling in the counselling service and had been approved for CSP with no issues. He told me he'll send my application for manual review, gave me his direct access number and said to call him back tomorrow to check on the status. I signed up to the app status site 3 times and this time my app had gone from decline to in review!!! Anyway at about 3 pm same day he calls and said YOU'VE BEEN APPROVED!!! He didnt know the terms or the CL but I was so excited that I finally got my feet into AMEX!!! So in a day and half of app spree and persistence I was able to increase my revolving CL from $5250 to $13,150 +  (Stil waiting for AMEX limit). I want to thank everyone on this site, Prior to finding this forum, I didnt know how much control I had on my credit profile and the power to make it happen. Before I would have taken any CC app rejection as a stamp that I was not eligible for it and walked away with my tail between my legs. At this point i'm going to garden for the next year or so and focus on optimizing my utilization to increase my score in preparing for a mortgage app in a year or so while I save for a down payment. And the bonus I got a Equifax SW alert that my FICO score had increased from 681-684!

Chase Freedom-3.5K, NY MCU- 500, Chase Sapphire Preferred- 5.7K, Discover IT- 2K, AMEX BCE-6K, Citi simplicity- 7K
Scores: Equifax SW- 719 (Nov 2013)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX BCE Success story!!!

Congratulations! Your perseverance surely was well deserved. Welcome to the Amex Family!
Message 2 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Akosua wrote:

Felt compelled to share my story since this forum has helped me so much in my endeavors to rebuld my credit. I'll keep it short, I promiseSmiley Happy

2010- Enrolled DMP to lower my bills and make it one sum amount

March 2013- Completed DMP program

March 2013- Applied and approved for Citi Home Depot CL $1250, Chase Freedom $3500 and Credit Union CL $500 offered to me with auto loan for $44,000

June 2013- Start considering mortgage app, happened on this forum through google and signed up for Equifax Score Watch.  Score at time was 667 FICO and learnt alot about credit rebuilding and was able to improve my score to 681 by August! Just by following the advice ppl had given on the site.

August 2013-My birthday month and was feeling lucky so decided to bite the bullet and apply for some cards I thought I will never qualify for.

Applied on same day for, Chase Sapphire Preferred online, app went into review status, called the application status line and automated system said I was approved for $5,900 CL, Applied for AMEX BCE online and got an instant denial. Applied for Discover IT card online app asked for identity verification, so called the number, app approved by credit analyst but not for the advertised terms, he countered at NO INTRODUCTORY O% APR for 12months, higher APR 19.9% and only $2,000 CL, reason being my credit card accounts were opened less than 6 months ago. I took it. I felt I had my foot in the door at least and cld work on getting CLI later.

Felt defeated by AMEX BCE, the reason for the denial was that I had used a credit counselling service in the past. so called the backdoor Executive Office number listed on here the next day, first attempt, I got a lady who transferred me to a rep who said to me they could not approve me because, it was their internal policy not to extend credit to anyone who had ever been enrolled in Debt Counselling Service or bankruptcy, explained to him that I hadd completed the program and had paid all my balances in full, he said NO WAY we're giving you anything! I got mad and hung up. Called a second time after 5 mins. Got a female rep who said it cld be sent to  review with another HP on my credit file. or contact Equifax and let them take the Debt Counselling Statement off my credit fail, was unable to get to a live person at equifax so gave up on that route and though what the heck let me call again, so again I called the Executive Office number and this time I got JAMES. I explained to James that I wanted my app recon because I had since rebuilt my credit since enrolling in the counselling service and had been approved for CSP with no issues. He told me he'll send my application for manual review, gave me his direct access number and said to call him back tomorrow to check on the status. I signed up to the app status site 3 times and this time my app had gone from decline to in review!!! Anyway at about 3 pm same day he calls and said YOU'VE BEEN APPROVED!!! He didnt know the terms or the CL but I was so excited that I finally got my feet into AMEX!!! So in a day and half of app spree and persistence I was able to increase my revolving CL from $5250 to $13,150 +  (Stil waiting for AMEX limit). I want to thank everyone on this site, Prior to finding this forum, I didnt know how much control I had on my credit profile and the power to make it happen. Before I would have taken any CC app rejection as a stamp that I was not eligible for it and walked away with my tail between my legs. At this point i'm going to garden for the next year or so and focus on optimizing my utilization to increase my score in preparing for a mortgage app in a year or so while I save for a down payment. And the bonus I got a Equifax SW alert that my FICO score had increased from 681-684!

Welcome to the forum

Short LolSmiley LOL

Congrats you have done a wonderful job 

Use the cards and the knowledge to your advantage

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 9
Express
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the family!  Smiley Very Happy   Glad you could make it!

CL $408,200
Message 4 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

congrats! thanks for your story Smiley Happy great perseverance! wtg!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 5 of 9
knoregs
Established Contributor

Congrats!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 6 of 9
Mellon
Established Contributor

congrats... this is my birthday month too......I wonder if I should go for the CSP!!!!...lol

Message 7 of 9
Akosua
Established Member

U shd!!!' The stars are aligned I'm your favor!
Chase Freedom-3.5K, NY MCU- 500, Chase Sapphire Preferred- 5.7K, Discover IT- 2K, AMEX BCE-6K, Citi simplicity- 7K
Scores: Equifax SW- 719 (Nov 2013)

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - a very inspiring story for others who definitely welcome your successful AMEX outcome.  Nicely done!  Bday month for me as well Robot Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.