Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE Supermarket Definition

tag
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE Supermarket Definition

OP - for what it's worth, I have the Target debit card and love it. 5% immediately at the register. I do most of my grocery shopping at Target and Costco (neither get the 6% with Amex BCP) but do want the BCP still becasue you can buy gift cards at the grocery stores...

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 61 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm just iffy about the Target card because I can only use it there. I'd probably just get the debit card. You get the same 5% off. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 62 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

It finally arrived!! On hold trying to get "Member Since" backdated. Smiley Happy

Yay, congrats! Is it shiny? 

Shiny, pretty and see-through! Smiley Happy

No luck with the back date, though. I had a personal card around '96, converted to corporate in 2001, for some reason they can't find my original card number or anything under that social other than the Delta and BCP. I actually had statements for the corporate card dating back to 2001 but they still weren't able to help. Spent at least 25 minutes on the phone with them.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 70
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

I'm just iffy about the Target card because I can only use it there. I'd probably just get the debit card. You get the same 5% off. 

I agree, I love the debit card.  When I opened my Target debit card, there was no HP either (unlike the Nordstrom debit card, which does a HP!). My only complaint about the debit card is that transactions can take a long time to go through your checking account, but no big deal really.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 64 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@JustMe77 wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

I agree, I love the debit card.  When I opened my Target debit card, there was no HP either (unlike the Nordstrom debit card, which does a HP!). My only complaint about the debit card is that transactions can take a long time to go through your checking account, but no big deal really.

A HP for a debit? Nordstrom is crazy! 

I don't mind if the transaction takes a while to go through. That could come in handy when it gets to the end of the month. Hahaha.

Message 65 of 70
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@frogfan12 wrote:

I thought you were gonna say the alcohol counted as groceries, hauling. Hahaha.

It does, at a regular grocery store! Smiley Surprised

Calories are calories, I guess.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 66 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Hahaha...good to know. I'm learning all the tricks of the trade from you guys. Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 70
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Alcohol is the same thing as groceries if you ask me! They're all necessities! Smiley Wink

Photobucket
Message 68 of 70
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think that this is almost solely for the AmEx cards. Other grocery cards that I've had distinguished among the purchases made within the store, so that only actual groceries counted.

From what I've been able to tell by glancing over my BCP statements, all of these items got the 6% back when purchased at a grocery store:

• groceries (duh)
  • household supplies like dishwashing soap and paper towels
  • kitchen doodads
  • charcoal for the grill (usually purchased elsewhere, but crises happen)
  • beer/ wine/ bourbon
  • baked goods from the bakery section
  • cat litter
  • OTC meds like aspirin and Claritin
  • one $100 Macy's gift card that was a Christmas present for my mom <-- I totally did not expect this; it just happened
  • magazines
  • candles and random Christmas decorations

(There you go, a summary of my pitiful shopping lists.)

Again, IMO, most grocery rewards cards address the different categories that are assigned to each purchase at checkout. The AmEx cards seem to treat anything purchased within a grocery store, as long as it goes through the grocery check-out lane, as groceries.

I haven't tried prescriptions at the instore pharmacy. Interesting thought. I wouldn't mind getting 6% back on my measley $5.74 prescription once a month. On the other hand, never mind.

If you live in a state where you can buy pretty much everything at a grocery store, that definitely helps your cash-back rewards with these particular cards.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 69 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Thanks for the list (and research)!

Has anyone tried using the BCE/BCP at a pharmacy? I'm due for some new 3 month supply and I'd love to put it on my card when it gets here.

Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.