Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE Supermarket Definition

tag
frogfan12
Established Contributor

AMEX BCE Supermarket Definition

What classifies as a supermarket with the BCE?

I'm thinking about applying but from what I've read they don't seem to award full credit for stores like Wal-Mart and Target, which is where I do the bulk of my grocery shopping. I also shop at stores like Central Market but not as frequently as WM and Target. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE Supermarket Definition

@frogfan12 wrote:

What classifies as a supermarket with the BCE?

I'm thinking about applying but from what I've read they don't seem to award full credit for stores like Wal-Mart and Target, which is where I do the bulk of my grocery shopping. I also shop at stores like Central Market but not as frequently as WM and Target. 

It's not AMEX that decides who/what is a "grocery store."  It's the actual business or store that deides that.  I don't know what Central Market is, but you are right that Target and WM are not grocery stores.

Message 2 of 70
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

It all depends on how the merchant identifies themself to AmEx. They have merchant category codes.

You are correct, WalMart and Target will not get you the grocery rewards. If you have a Target Red Card you can do better than BCE for the groceries (5%) though I'm not sure if their groceries are overpriced to begin with.

I have a BCP and almost had a heart attack when the Commissary at my Air Force base showed up on the AmEx website transactions as general merchandise, since that is where I do most of my grocery shopping. But when I looked at my monthly statement it does indeed show up as groceries and I got the 6% cashback I was expecting.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Sad day. I may just skip the BCE for now because I prefer to shop at WM/Target because of convenience and low price. I may just get the WM card. I've heard mixed reviews about the Target card. 

Message 4 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Walmart card earn you anything cash back when used at Walmart?

Message 5 of 70
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Sad day. I may just skip the BCE for now because I prefer to shop at WM/Target because of convenience and low price. I may just get the WM card. I've heard mixed reviews about the Target card. 

The thing I like about the Target card is that they take the 5% off right at the register. You can get approved for the card at the store too, and I think they approve just about anyone with a pulse. With your score I'd expect a $2,500 limit. The downside - don't hold your breath for a CLI.

Message 6 of 70
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The regular WalMart card doesn't. The Walmart Discover has "up to 1%" on all purchases everywhere - it is tiered below $3k/yr. They both have 5 cents a gallon off for fuel at WalMart pumps. The main thing the WalMart card has going for it is the monthly FICO they give you.

Message 7 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LTomBerry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The regular WalMart card doesn't. The Walmart Discover has "up to 1%" on all purchases everywhere - it is tiered below $3k/yr. They both have 5 cents a gallon off for fuel at WalMart pumps. The main thing the WalMart card has going for it is the monthly FICO they give you.

Thanks, I didn't know there were 2 different Walmart cards. I've always wondered what the benefits were other than the monthly TU.

Message 8 of 70
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Yeah that's the thing about the 6% ~ you may not be able to get the full discount but if you shop around enough at grocery stores it could be worth it....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 70
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Target's 5% off sounds nice but I could only use the card at Target. That's what made the BCE appealing. Even if I just used the card for gas, it'd still give some sort of benefit. The WM card is looking better with the gas discount and free monthly TU score. Do you get the TU score immediately upon receipt of the card? Or does the first statement have to cut for you to select the online statements?

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.