Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE With Chargeoff?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE With Chargeoff?

You have a chance of approval if you apply. How big is the chance it you don't?
Message 11 of 44
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex has been generous lately but an unpaid CO might be wasting an inq.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 44
Guava
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You have a chance of approval if you apply. How big is the chance it you don't?

That saying works when you're going after a girl or something, but in this case, it's not gonna work. The OP is apprehensive and rightly so, with unpaid charge-off, a decline from AMEX is very likely.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 44
n777ua
Established Contributor

OP - have you tried the pre-approval app ? 

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 14 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are missing the point. The CO doesn't fall off til 2013, so what is the point in saving the inquiry if you have to wait til 2013 to apply anyway? Apply, and you have a chance at the card until they fr you or close it, or don't apply and.guarantee you don't get the card.and save.your 2 points on the fico.
Message 15 of 44
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

AAoA is 7yrs...CO is over 5yrs old...it's worth a shot imo.

If yor EX inquiries are 0-2 within the L6 months, you got a better chance.

You are going to have different point of view on this topic.

The safest route is to use the Zync for 6 months than app and it will be smooth.

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boomhower wrote:
I had two unpaid collections around five years old when approved for a BCP. They weren't credit cards but one is north of $2k. A CO may be different than a CA in there eyes though.

Smiley Surprised That's amazing!   And, you got the "Preferred" not just the "Everyday."  Wow!!! 

Message 17 of 44
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@boomhower wrote:
I had two unpaid collections around five years old when approved for a BCP. They weren't credit cards but one is north of $2k. A CO may be different than a CA in there eyes though.

Smiley Surprised That's amazing!   And, you got the "Preferred" not just the "Everyday."  Wow!!! 

Yep, got it in the mail yesterday.  FICO according to AMEX was ~715.  Both of the CA were from apartment complex's.  Also had one 30 day late from around 6 years ago.  I was in a similar place as the OP and figured I had nothing to lose.  I have plenty of credit cards but only one reward card in the Chase Freedom.  I wanted to add one more before I go for a mortgage next year and this was the only thing that interested me at all.  So I went for it.  According to the Amex pre-approval I was only good for the Zync and Gold.  The BCP was essentially an instant approval, I just had to call in and verify my address since I had recently moved.  Once that was veried, instantly approved.  I am in the highest interest rate bracket but I PIF so I could care less.  They also matched my highest reporting card at $2k. 

If memory serves the big collection is right at $2.5k. 

Message 18 of 44
RyVision
Valued Contributor

To the original poster (and anyone else I spose lol). EVERYONE is rather correct that answered. It's unusual, but they're all correct. AMEX is a bit fickle, you could get either approved or denied. That's the answer you're wondering, the only place that can factually answer your question for certain is AMEX itself (along with it's in-house scoring system), I lean toward a decline but that doesn't really matter.

More than one person mentioned the issue of the CO remaining on your CR until 2013.  If your inquires are low, the ding won't really matter. I had an erroneous CA on my reports that prevented me from getting AMEX at ALL. Once removed (by the state AG's intervention) no problem.  YOU have 7 years of decent history behind you, not perfect but not non-existent or bad either.

IF I were in your shoes, I would apply, if they said no (they don't send someone to slap you, they only place an inq on your EX, maybe EQ also but rarely), then I'd try later (I did it with Zync, denied, waited 5 months, instant approval but at least I had my answer and why they said no the first time). DO NOT contact those that hold the CO however or you will no doubt re-age the account and it will stay on your report that much longer.

EDIT: I should add, if declined, you always have the option of pleading your case over the phone, sometimes you get a reasonable credit analyst.

Have you been an AMEX member before? If so, you may have a better chance if you had a clear history with them. If not (well, either yes or no really) you could apply for both and maybe take one INQ hit and possibly only get one or both (Zync and BCE) if not totally declined.

For some reason I almost hear "Arnie's" voice in the back of my head saying "DO IT! DO IT NOW"..........   just my 2 cents (and if I were in your shoes) Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 19 of 44
n777ua
Established Contributor

OP - let us know what you decide and what the outcome of your app is if you decide to go that route.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.