Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE categories

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE categories

So let's take this hypothetical situation: I can still get 3% cashback if I went to say McDonalds, but their merchant code is considered "groceries"?..

Message 11 of 18
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Well yes, if that was the case - as FinStar noted, the card issuers use the merchant codes to determine the rewards you get/kind of place it is.

That being said, I'll put $5 on McDonald's being 100% classified as "Fast Food/Restaurants"

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 12 of 18
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Well yes, if that was the case - as FinStar noted, the card issuers use the merchant codes to determine the rewards you get/kind of place it is.

That being said, I'll put $5 on McDonald's being 100% classified as "Fast Food/Restaurants"

Whew....At first I thought I would only get cashback at those stores that they have listed.... I feel a little better now knowing I can use it at places as long as those places use the correct merchant codes Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Nope, you'll get at least 1% back on everything with the BCE.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 14 of 18
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Nope, you'll get at least 1% back on everything with the BCE.

Woops. I meant to say the 2% and 3% categories, but that's still true. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Completely agree with everything that's been said so far. It has to do with how the vender is coded.

kroger should qualify, discount chains like wal-mart won't.

the easiest way to find out for sure is to just buy something (even just a bag of chips), and wait for the transaction to clear. After it does Amex's website will clearly tell you how it was coded.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 16 of 18
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

Does anyone have a COMPLETE list of what qualifies under each of the categories? Thanks.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Whew....At first I thought I would only get cashback at those stores that they have listed.... I feel a little better now knowing I can use it at places as long as those places use the correct merchant codes Smiley Happy

The exception is the "select department stores" where you will only get the 2% (BCE)/3%(BCP) at the stores on that list, i.e. it doesn't just depend on being coded as department store.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.