Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE to BCP

tag
marley1945
Valued Member

AMEX BCE to BCP

I'm thinking of applying for the BCP (preferred) on the website it states I can upgrade from BCE to BCP.

My question is will this be a new account:  new CC, new account number, new starting limit, or do i 

keep same card with same limits?  I understand the points structure will change.

Is it better to apply for the Preferred and cancel the BCP?  Transfer limit from BCE to BCP?

Any advise will be appreciated.

thanks 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE to BCP

@marley1945 wrote:

I'm thinking of applying for the BCP (preferred) on the website it states I can upgrade from BCE to BCP.

My question is will this be a new account:  new CC, new account number, new starting limit, or do i 

keep same card with same limits?  I understand the points structure will change.

Is it better to apply for the Preferred and cancel the BCP?  Transfer limit from BCE to BCP?

thanks 

Since they are in the same family, I think the account # stays the same. Better to chnage it, insread of re-apply.

Message 2 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

For some reason, i am thinking that you can only go down as far as products, not up, at least in the first year due to something in the CARD act..
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Even if you're eligible to PC it, consider waiting for a targeted upgrade offer. They're offering me $150 for $1k spend to upgrade.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@marley1945 wrote:

thanks 

Since they are in the same family, I think the account # stays the same. Better to chnage it, insread of re-apply.

If this is an upgrade offered when you login, then everything stays the same (apart from AF and reward structure of course), same account, same CL, same APR, same history)

Re is it better, depends on goals.   If you app, you can get a larger bonus, at the cost of a new account with inq and AAoA hit.   

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked &  also have this offer to upgrade to BCP. After reading the posts think I'll stick with my BCE and request another CLI in Jan. Don't need another hard hit or to lower my AAoA. The sign on bonus minus $95 AF,  just not a great deal IMO. I don't want any more cards with annual fees.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait am I wrong that if you have an offer to upgrade then everything will stay the same and no HP?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wait am I wrong that if you have an offer to upgrade then everything will stay the same and no HP?

No HP, it's just a product change. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card number will stay the same tho right and you don't need to start over with a new account reporting?

Are Amex offers automatically shown or do I need to check someplace online? Thx
Message 9 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I just did this exact switch in the last 2 weeks.

Fill it out, hit submit, accept the terms aka start paying them $95/yr

Give it 24-48 hours to update online to Preferred status to start spending towards the bonus.

24 hours after hitting the spend requirement your $150 shows up as a credit.

Nothing else changes, no hp, no cli, no new acct, nothing..... just add the $95, change the physical card to say preferred, and collect your bonus.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.