Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE vs AMEX Everyday

tag
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE vs AMEX Everyday

On the site, it states "the ability to carry balances" as a feature of this and a few cards..

Shouldn't want to do so however unless in a 0% situation
Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 11 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@angelcred10 wrote:
Guys at the forum, I wonder
Can this truly be an "everyday" card that is good?

With QS, I have 1.25 cash back
With BCE I've got the 3 2 1
(obviously use the 3 2)
And freedom/discover rotating categories

Where can this card even fit in at only 2 and 1%?

(Not sure how to figure in the 20% bonus is why I ask)

It is all about CASH BACK or MR POINTS. There is no "one size fits all"  for this. You will have to do some homework and evaluate what fits better for YOUR spending pattern.

Message 12 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Weights wrote:

I've seen quite a few posts about their new everyday card.  I'm wondering, in your opinion, which of these two cards is the better choice?

Neither.  I have the BCP for it's higher rewards rate on the stuff I spend on.  Everyday is a nonstarter for me since MR doesn't transfer to what I need.  That said, you need to decide based on what you need/want versus polling others.  Keep in mind that "better" is always a subjective matter regardless of the topic.

Another person might find the old Blue Cash to be an even better fit than the current BC's or the Everydays.  Again, it really all depends on the individual's specific need/wants.  No card or comparison between two (or even more) cards is a one-size-fits-all matter.

@angelcred10 wrote:

The Everyday is MR points, honestly I don't know how to even use them so I'm interested in hearing people mention good ways to do it.

I've always heard nothing but "use for flights" I don't get why still

bang for your buck situation but I can't get to the MR site to see what they mean when I always get it explained.

You'd have to look at the transfer partners and then determine the value of the travel reward you would get versus the points transferred.  Generally speaking transferring yields better value per point than the other options though, again, you'd have to compare as it might not hold true for every possibility out there.

@angelcred10 wrote:

Good is also subjective.  It's not a good everyday card for me for reasons I just stated but it can certainly be for others.  Make sure you're not just comparing the reward earn rates but the redemptions as well.

@abundancejones wrote:

im not quite sure. Is it true that this new Everyday card is more suitable for leaving a balance? I hear AMEX, in general, dosen't like balances. 

You can but rewards are generally negated if carrying a balance without a 0% offer.

Message 13 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Weights wrote:

I've seen quite a few posts about their new everyday card.  I'm wondering, in your opinion, which of these two cards is the better choice?

Neither.  I have the BCP for it's higher rewards rate on the stuff I spend on.  Everyday is a nonstarter for me since MR doesn't transfer to what I need.  That said, you need to decide based on what you need/want versus polling others.  Keep in mind that "better" is always a subjective matter regardless of the topic.

Another person might find the old Blue Cash to be an even better fit than the current BC's or the Everydays.  Again, it really all depends on the individual's specific need/wants.  No card or comparison between two (or even more) cards is a one-size-fits-all matter.

@angelcred10 wrote:

The Everyday is MR points, honestly I don't know how to even use them so I'm interested in hearing people mention good ways to do it.

I've always heard nothing but "use for flights" I don't get why still

bang for your buck situation but I can't get to the MR site to see what they mean when I always get it explained.

You'd have to look at the transfer partners and then determine the value of the travel reward you would get versus the points transferred.  Generally speaking transferring yields better value per point than the other options though, again, you'd have to compare as it might not hold true for every possibility out there.

@angelcred10 wrote:

Good is also subjective.  It's not a good everyday card for me for reasons I just stated but it can certainly be for others.  Make sure you're not just comparing the reward earn rates but the redemptions as well.

@abundancejones wrote:

im not quite sure. Is it true that this new Everyday card is more suitable for leaving a balance? I hear AMEX, in general, dosen't like balances. 

You can but rewards are generally negated if carrying a balance without a 0% offer.

I agree with everything said here, but for those who want a simple but inaccurate rules:

Like for most people, BCP is a better choice than BCE (because of gift cards etc), it may be that, IF EITHER CARD is for you, EDP is better than ED.   

The value of these cards comes in the MR system.  

If you cannot usefully transfer MRs to partners (because they don't transfer to those you need, or you don't plan to travel) , you are probably better with cash back.  If you value MR at just 1c, other cashback cards will be better.

If you DO want to transfer for awards, you probably need "a lot" to get the most valuable redemptions, such as premium cabin international.    So you would be making a lot of purchases, enough to make the higher rates on EDP outweigh the annual fee.  Small amounts of points on ED will probably have to be redeemed at lower rates, making it more like cash back.

Do your own analysis of course, but I think the above is generally going to be true.  If you went for ED, maybe that was the right choice for you!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.