Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE vs Discover IT vs Chase Freedom

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

AMEX BCE vs Discover IT vs Chase Freedom

Which one of these cards do you guys utilize the most and why?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE vs Discover IT vs Chase Freedom

BCP for me. I have a Discover IT, but the rotating categories are "meh". 90% of my day-to-day spending is gas or groceries, so the blue cash card really performs. If i was single, and didn't really have a big grocery bill, I could see the discover IT being useful.

sorry, I don't have a Chase 

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 2 of 44
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Discover It for me since I don't have Amex BCE. lol  I also use Chase Freedom to fill in some of the 5% categories that Discover doesn't offer (gas and Starbucks on the first quarter of next year).

Message 3 of 44
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Oddly enough my gas station is coded as a grocery store when I pay inside so guess who gets 6% on his BCP on gas! Also shop at Neighborhood Walmart for another 6%.

But if you want a card without an annual fee, the Sallie Mae for this party of 1. Also gets 5% on gas and groceries (each capped at a monthly $250 spend) and 5% on Amazon (capped at $750 monthly spend). 

Message 4 of 44
w003ptr
Contributor

I have all 3 and I probably get the most use out of Chase Freedom.

BCE for purchases above $50 (except restaurants), groceries and gas, unless gas is on the 5% rotation.

Discover it at Sam's Club.

Chase Freedom on everything else except restaurants.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have discover, but do have Cap 1 instead.

I use BCE for gas and (minimal) groceries

I use C1 cash rewards for 1.5% for everything else

I only use freedom for 5% bonus catagories

Message 6 of 44
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

I don't think that a lot of people read the OP. He's asking about the BCE vs IT vs Freedom. Clearly the BCP is better than two no fee cards but that's not his question. OP, we'd have to know more about your spending pattern, whether you value points over cash and what other cards you have. I have all three cards you listed and I use my freedom the most. I hardly ever use my discover unless there is some crazy deal in shop discover, but I value points more than cash back and I can combine my freedom points with my CSP. I only use my BCE for groceries. I may upgrade to a BCP soon.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I don't think that a lot of people read the OP. He's asking about the BCE vs IT vs Freedom. Clearly the BCP is better than two no fee cards but that's not his question. OP, we'd have to know more about your spending pattern, whether you value points over cash and what other cards you have. I have all three cards you listed and I use my freedom the most. I hardly ever use my discover unless there is some crazy deal in shop discover, but I value points more than cash back and I can combine my freedom points with my CSP. I only use my BCE for groceries. I may upgrade to a BCP soon.

I disagree with both of your first two sentences.  As you can infer from everyones posts, there is no one fit for all card.  We explained which cards we utilize and why... which was what was asked for.  Perhaps you did not read the OP?  I also do not believe in the blanket statement that  "BCP is better than two no fee cards."  BCP would never pay off for me because I spend minimal at supermarkets, and the 1% gain in fuel cash back on a 40+mpg vehicle would result in a wopping $0.90 cash back per month.  The $11/yr gain will never offset the AF.  Also the BCP is only 1% CB on other purchases where as my last post referenced a 1.5% CB.  BCE+C1= 2 no AF cards that exceede my potential with BCP.  I also see you value points more, but I will take cash anyday.  YMMV Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 44
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I am not sure that YOU read the OP. He asked which card all of us use the most, and why. So we don't need to know anything about the OP's life. I use the freedom the most because I don't buy a lot of groceries.....I use discover on any 5% categories, but I use the freedom the most because it has been more beneficial to my lifestyle.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 9 of 44
MMB85
Contributor

I have the Freedom and IT. No Amex yet.

I use my Freedom the most. Rarely use the IT. I have always starting to notice that a lot of places I've been going to don't accept Discover. I've had a few times where my card got rejected. So when I am out, I use my freedom. If I am buying something online, and I see they accept Discover, I will give the card some action here and there. 

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.