Re: AMEX BCE vs Discover IT vs Chase Freedom

Guess I'll hangout in this thread

Smiley MSN Emoticon santa 112.gif

Naughty 

Nice 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 21 of 44
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I have all three and since I'm a commuter college student, my bills are usually made up of 80% gas and 20% grocery. So, which ever one between the It and freedom have gas, I use for that quarter. If not, I use my BCE for the 2% and grocery.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 22 of 44
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I don't think that a lot of people read the OP. He's asking about the BCE vs IT vs Freedom. Clearly the BCP is better than two no fee cards but that's not his question. OP, we'd have to know more about your spending pattern, whether you value points over cash and what other cards you have. I have all three cards you listed and I use my freedom the most. I hardly ever use my discover unless there is some crazy deal in shop discover, but I value points more than cash back and I can combine my freedom points with my CSP. I only use my BCE for groceries. I may upgrade to a BCP soon.

I am not sure that YOU read the OP. He asked which card all of us use the most, and why. So we don't need to know anything about the OP's life. I use the freedom the most because I don't buy a lot of groceries.....I use discover on any 5% categories, but I use the freedom the most because it has been more beneficial to my lifestyle.

That is not what he asked. I'll repost the OP since you didn't understand it.

AMEX BCE vs Discover IT vs Chase Freedom

Which one of these cards do you guys utilize the most and why?

He didn't say which card do you use the most. He said which one of these cards do you use the most, clearly refering to the three cards above. Also in refrence to the BCP, I should have been more clear. Posters were saying how they get a ton of cash back on gas and groceries using the BCP. I was saying the BCP should perform better in those catergories because you're paying for it. Clearly it depends on your spending habits but that's why I asked for his. 

lol.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 23 of 44
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Smiley Very Happy I know it's semantics and silly. You riled up the lawyer in me. I forgot regular people don't parse every single word written. Thanks for being a good sport. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 24 of 44
stevenngu92
Contributor

I use my freedom the most. It would be my amex if shops around my area accepted them (they rarely accept discover too).

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 25 of 44
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@stevenngu92 wrote:

I use my freedom the most. It would be my amex if shops around my area accepted them (they rarely accept discover too).

I was really worried about this as well but I haven't run into a place by my home (I live near Boston) or by my parents home (in Chicago) that didn't take Amex or Discover. Do you live in or near a city? 
Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 26 of 44
jaraico
Regular Contributor

have bce and freedom

i didnt get discover since like amex it isnt widely excepted, but its not amex lol but the new fico scoring is cool but in CA people dont pull TU too much for me

anywho....

bce is awesome for groceries and gas, i feel safer using it online. so i definitely use it more. if you could only have one from the above three always go with amex but have a back up visa when its not accepted. the back dating and customer service is outstanding plus 3x cli!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 27 of 44
samm90
New Contributor

Where I live, everyone takes discover so if they don't take amex I use discover. Otherwise I bust out visa. Other than that I use whichever card has the best bonus for the purchase.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 28 of 44
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

My preference is BCE, then Discover, and last freedom. I find the rotating categories annoying and for the discover cashback there is a 50$ which seems to take a long time for me. The mobile app for discover is amazing though and I also like the cash over feature at the grocery store. They also have good CSR when I have talked I them. I don't like the chase mobile app and when I have called to talk to the CSR I wasn't too impressed either. Amex is great all around I have been very impressed. The downfall of amex is when I leave the city, not many places take it. I find discover is accepted more in smaller cities.
I think if I had to choose one, I couldn't, because that would mean freedom just based on acceptability. I choose all three. Why not.
Message 29 of 44
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

Which one of these cards do you guys utilize the most and why?

Chase Freedom in 2014 because they put gas stations purchases in 2 quarters for 5% cash back.

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.