Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP Bait and Switch?

tag
jonald11
Valued Member

AMEX BCP Bait and Switch?

Hello,

My new AMEX BCP arrived today, and it said I have an introductory APR of 6 months, not the 12-months that was listed when I apped through Credit Karma. I even kept the screen shot, because I know AMEX has had to pay big fines in the past for similiar deceptive practices. 

Anyone run into this, and how did they handle it? I hate to pick a fight with AMEX over six months, but this on principle this is garbage. 

Also, I got an APR of 17.99, which I thought was ridiculously high. In the approval package, it said it had pulled only Experian, and that my score is 770. That is slightly below MyFico Equifax from here, and it seems as though it should have received a better APR.

Again, does anyone have any experience lowering APRs with AMEX?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP Bait and Switch?

Give them a call

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
flyingace
Valued Member

They aren't required to give you the promotional offer, even though it promotes it (I don't think). Like, w/ Discover, I didn't get their 18 months offer (or whatever it was), I only got six months as well. You can call and inquire about why you got that APR, and they might be able to tell you.

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 3 of 7
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

@jonald11 wrote:

Hello,

My new AMEX BCP arrived today, and it said I have an introductory APR of 6 months, not the 12-months that was listed when I apped through Credit Karma. I even kept the screen shot, because I know AMEX has had to pay big fines in the past for similiar deceptive practices. 

Anyone run into this, and how did they handle it? I hate to pick a fight with AMEX over six months, but this on principle this is garbage. 

Also, I got an APR of 17.99, which I thought was ridiculously high. In the approval package, it said it had pulled only Experian, and that my score is 770. That is slightly below MyFico Equifax from here, and it seems as though it should have received a better APR.

Again, does anyone have any experience lowering APRs with AMEX?

Thanks

If you're a current amex member I believe it's only 6 months.  The one year is for new members I believe.  Same thing for me, only 6 months 0% 

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 4 of 7
jonald11
Valued Member

Thank you ICloud, that makes perfect sense. That's why these forums are so good. Kept me from calling and ranting like a babbling idiot.

Thanks again,

John

Message 5 of 7
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@jonald11 wrote:

Thank you ICloud, that makes perfect sense. That's why these forums are so good. Kept me from calling and ranting like a babbling idiot.

Thanks again,

John

I'd still call about the APR.  18% with a 770 is nuts. 

Message 6 of 7
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

@jonald11 wrote:

Thanks again,

John

I'd still call about the APR.  18% with a 770 is nuts. 

They will probably say something about internal score. They gave me the same APR with a 752.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.