Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCP Bill Pay Strategy?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh. ok. I guess I didn't even really understand the small part of credit I thought I understood.LOL

Both answer help alot. So I will just PIF at the due date. 

Even if you PIF, if you do it after the due date (meaning the statement has already been cut) and you have a high utilization %, it won't necessarily look good on the credit report. The advice I keep seeing seems to be to pay between 90% and 99% of your balance before the statement cuts, and the remaining portionafter the statement cuts. That seems to be the optimal route.

You are mixing terms!  The "due date" is the date that the payment is due.  It's (for most banks) the balance on the statement close date that gets reported.

Yeah, I get that. However, the OP was saying that they'd pay the balance in full at the due date. By then, won't the CC have reported the balance to the bureau(s)?

For example, I believe they said their limit was $2.5k. Say they put $2k spend on the card, the statement gets cut and they pay the balance by the due date. The amount that'll get reported will be $2k, won't it? So, utilization will be at 80% even though they will have paid the balance in full by the due date.

The due date is for the previous statement. So for example you have an due date of aug 15 and statement date of aug 18. The due date for aug 15 is for the statement that cut on july 18. So if you paid balance by due date of aug 15, when it reports on aug 18 nothing should report to credit bureaus. 

Ah, you're right!

Message 11 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

when i first started using credit cards took an while to wrap my head around that, but longtimelurker is right as usual. Its probably just easier to pay in full whenever statmement is about to cut. An even better idea is probably to just auto pay it, i do that for an few of my cards, you don't have to think about it :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 20
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

These posts are very discouraging.  Are we not the customers?  Shouldn't AMEX just like somebody who pays their bill on time?  All this talk about what does AMEX like, how should I please AMEX...are they really this picky?  Seems like a card I'd rather not have if I must constantly worry about what AMEX will think.  Isnt that the point to offering credit, customers use it responsibly and pay off what they spend, rinse, repeat?  Maybe AMEX should publish "the list of do's and don'ts for carrying our card". 

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

IDK plasticorplastic I'm very new to credit. I'm suprised that I even got approved having so little history. My secured CC hasn't even graduated yet. Maybe it sounds a little pathetic, but I do want to be a customer that AMEX wants to have. I want them to want me. 

Message 14 of 20
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IDK plasticorplastic I'm very new to credit. I'm suprised that I even got approved having so little history. My secured CC hasn't even graduated yet. Maybe it sounds a little pathetic, but I do want to be a customer that AMEX wants to have. I want them to want me. 

Nothing against you in that post Kitten.  I wanted an AMEX bad, but my BK is keeping that from happening for a few years yet.  I just worry because I dont like to sit and think about if my lenders are going to be happy with me and if I'm doing everything to their standards (I just pay on time and over min everytime)  I've been seeing more and more posts that appear to be looking for ways to please AMEX.  At the end of the day remember you have options and you are the customer. Your post didnt sound pathetic, I was more or less just wondering if AMEX is really that hard to please...

Message 15 of 20
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Really since we are self serving credit seekers Its less that people want to please AMEX as much as it is to position themselves/myself best for CLI and to get out of the way of AR/FR with them.

Alot of people just SIT around and wait for the credit to come to then(auto CLI) in mail offers because they just dont know the credit game. Once you learn you use the rules to the max if you can. The more I learn the more I am trying to bend the credit best I can in my favor. The funny part is for differnt credit files and banks the rules are slightly different

Message 16 of 20
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

My first statement cut on Friday with a $756 balance.  I PIF on Monday (posted today).  Yesterday I charged $2000 and I have no intention of PIF next month.  I will have at least a $1000 balance on day 61.  I will be asking for 3x ($30k) at that time.  

I'm not really concerned - as long as it is paid in a reasonable timeframe I bet Amex isn't concerned either.  

I'll let you know for sure how they feel on September 29th. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA shows you the statement date online. Under card details, it says "closing date".

Message 18 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You can also take an look at your statement it will normally be same date of the month every time . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. It really doesn't need to be as confusing or complex as I was making it out to be.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.