Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP-Costco-Gift Cards???

tag
winstars
Regular Contributor

AMEX BCP-Costco-Gift Cards???

So I want to get the full 6% back on grocery store purchases on my AMEX BCP when I go to Costco. But do I need to purchase a AMEX gift card at the supermarket since Costco only takes AMEX??? Does Costco even take gift cards, AMEX or otherwise??? I can just go to Costco and ask but....there has been much dicussion here about what are grocery stores and what is not a grocery store. I did not see an answer to this question in a search.

thanks

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP-Costco-Gift Cards???

I'm not sure they will take Amex gift cards.  I know they only take Costco Cash Card.

Ron.

Message 2 of 32
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

They should take AmEx gift cards. You can use any AmEx at Costco, so a gift card should be no different.
Message 3 of 32
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Yes, they accept AMEX gift cards. We received a few during the holidays and used them at Costco in Jan. 2012Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 4 of 32
winstars
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone. I actually stopped at Costco and asked. Yes, they take any and all AMEX gift cards. I need to spend a few hundred there this week (Costco) so I stopped at the local Albertsons and bought a few things and got a $400 gift card for $5.95. So by my math, the BCP gives me 6% back on the $400 so that is $24.00. $24.00 minus the $5.95 purchase fee for the gift card is $18.05. So by doing it this way I recieve the $18.05 back instead of what % back just by using the BCP at Costco???

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Message 5 of 32
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@winstars wrote:

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone. I actually stopped at Costco and asked. Yes, they take any and all AMEX gift cards. I need to spend a few hundred there this week (Costco) so I stopped at the local Albertsons and bought a few things and got a $400 gift card for $5.95. So by my math, the BCP gives me 6% back on the $400 so that is $24.00. $24.00 minus the $5.95 purchase fee for the gift card is $18.05. So by doing it this way I recieve the $18.05 back instead of what % back just by using the BCP at Costco???

That is interesting. I looked at the Costco card on amex's website, and I can't see where we get rewards for shopping at Costco. Am I missing something? Would that fall under the 1% everything else category? Somehow I thought there were good rewards for using the card at Costco. Smiley Frustrated
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 32
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Costco falls under 1% everything else category as a bulk/discount store. Best bet is pairing it with Exec Membership for 1% + 2%.
Message 7 of 32
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
Costco falls under 1% everything else category as a bulk/discount store. Best bet is pairing it with Exec Membership for 1% + 2%.
Okay. Thanks. I am an exec member, so 2% will be great when I get the card. Smiley Happy
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 32
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

As an exec you already get 2% right? That's what I was referring to, not an additional 2%. Sorry if I muddled things.
Message 9 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@winstars wrote:

I REALLY doubt that you are going to earn any rewards on a Gift Card Purchase especially the 6%.

and yes Costco Amex is only 1% at Costco and 2% for Exec Membership and you will receive a Costco Rewards Check once a year at renewal of your Costco Membership.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.