Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP

@Open123 wrote:

Absent of other factors, you should be able to use the BCP liberally for any GC purchases up to $6K.  

For other Amex cards, the risks increase (most notably BCE Blue Cash, SPG, and Bus Golds) when cashlike GCs are purchased in very high amounts.  By high, I mean north of at least $2 or $3K.  At $10k or higher, the risks would likely increase another factor.

Glad of the edit, I was going to ask why BCE was riskier than BCP!    Not sure what your amounts mean though, most people shutdown had high monthly spends (or rather rewards) not necessarily buying large amounts of cards at once (which has become harder anyway)

Message 11 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Fun fact I got a fraud alert for a 500 visa card plus 63 dollars of groceries. 

This was a new card though, right?   So that's not surprising.  Often that sort of spend on a new card will generate a fraud alert, but they are pretty harmless.  It's more common if it is your first Amex.    

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fico2Go wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm being the devils advocate here. Does AMEX actually FR you for purchasing gift cards? Or, do they FR you because you spent up to your credit limit purchasing GC? Looking into purchasing a new mac, and well to be honest the urge to purchase Apple GC at my local supermarket is becoming to tempting. 

Also what percent of people do you truly believe AMEX FR's? By these boards it appears its everyone. However, I highly doubt this and would personally contend it couldn't be much more than 3%. Basically for AMEX to FR you they have to believe they are at serious risk.

Reasons:

1. It costs some serious cash to request the 4506T from the IRS for every customer

2. They miss out on spending during the evaluation period

3. They are likely upsetting someone, and hurting their brand image as a result

Now, obviously if AMEX believes their is a strategic bankruptcy in play those three risks/costs are chunk change to Amex. However, to do it to every customer would imply that Amex would soon be going out of business. 

For those of you who got FR for purchasing GC with your AMEX card I am extremely interested to hear from you. I am also highly interested in learning from those who purchase at least 500 dollars worth of GC a pop at the grocery store. 

OP, if for example your income is $50K a year and you are charging 30K a month, OF COURSE amex will FR sooner or later. 

If all of your transactions show only GCs of course Amex will FR sooner or later.

If you are making minimum payments month after month, OF COURSE amex will FR you sooner or later.

I regularly buy $500 GCs and I enjoy earning cashback from Amex as well as concurrent bonuses offered by the merchants.  For  example, for awhile I was receiving 50Cent discount per gallon of gas purchased at a local station.  I was paying $0 for gas while everyone was paying $3.50 a gallon.  Just last week I earned $100 in cash per $500 GC purchased at a local grocery store.  IN FACT, THE $100 REWARDS APPLIED ONLY TO PURCHASES OF GIFTCARDS.  Needless to say I purchased dozens of GCs between last week and today.

Now on the negative side, I have heard of people having their AMEX cards cancelled this past month for uncertain reasons.  Many tend to point finger to MS and GC purchasing.  But I respectfully disagree.  I would argue that the majority of the cancelled accounts were from people with spending habits not in alignment with reported income.  Or, cancelled due to excessively similar purchases from CVS in particular.

Well true. My reported income with Amex is 18,200. I am afterall a full time college student, so earning meaningful money currently is rather difficult. Thats why I have long acknowledged the chances of getting the full 6k for this year would be tough... 6k purchsaes in one month with that annual income + new card member. Just trying to figure out how to structure it. I'm thinking of doing 500 gift card purchases every week till the new year. Paying in full before my statement cuts on Christmas Eve, and hoping that will leave me in AMEX's good graces for my 3x CLI on January 4th. Talk about a limited amount of time to structure this properly Smiley Surprised and hope my last soft pull will be good. 

Message 13 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fun fact I got a fraud alert for a 500 visa card plus 63 dollars of groceries. 

This was a new card though, right?   So that's not surprising.  Often that sort of spend on a new card will generate a fraud alert, but they are pretty harmless.  It's more common if it is your first Amex.    

Yep new card. New to AMEX. Don't want to risk sabotaging my AMEX relationship, but don't also want to handcuff a nice rewards oppurtunity if I can ascertain that the risks of AA are minimal. 

I even called in, and the rep I talked to was suprised I even bothered. Told me there was no problem, and have a nice day. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt idenity theft/stolen card.

Message 14 of 47
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Now on the negative side, I have heard of people having their AMEX cards cancelled this past month for uncertain reasons.  Many tend to point finger to MS and GC purchasing.  But I respectfully disagree.  I would argue that the majority of the cancelled accounts were from people with spending habits not in alignment with reported income.  Or, cancelled due to excessively similar purchases from CVS in particular.

Well, I certainly think it is MS and GC, the wording about purchases incompatable with personal or household use seem to support that sort of interpretation.  But the two sort of are the same, one of the major reasons for purchasing more than income is MS.

For a lot of us, purchasing moved away from CVS, first because of their VR policy, then once Vanilla cards became unreliable at Walmart.   So a lot of the most recent purchases pre shutdown have been at a wide range of supermarkets.   But I doubt AMex will ever tell!

yes of course.  incompatibility with personal or household purchases would seem to mirror a misalignment of income to spending.

Let's just say that I had considered cancelling my PRG due to the AF.  However I'm finding  that having a charge card and good payment history helps to improve my spending alignment of personal and household purchases.  I would be more interested in hearing how many got cancelled also had a charge card with paying history.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Well, I certainly think it is MS and GC, the wording about purchases incompatable with personal or household use seem to support that sort of interpretation.  But the two sort of are the same, one of the major reasons for purchasing more than income is MS.

For a lot of us, purchasing moved away from CVS, first because of their VR policy, then once Vanilla cards became unreliable at Walmart.   So a lot of the most recent purchases pre shutdown have been at a wide range of supermarkets.   But I doubt AMex will ever tell!

yes of course.  incompatibility with personal or household purchases would seem to mirror a misalignment of income to spending.

Let's just say that I had considered cancelling my PRG due to the AF.  However I'm finding  that having a charge card and good payment history helps to improve my spending alignment of personal and household purchases.  I would be more interested in hearing how many got cancelled also had a charge card with paying history.

Nice Discover CL. Is Discover your primary card?

Message 16 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Absent of other factors, you should be able to use the BCP liberally for any GC purchases up to $6K.  

For other Amex cards, the risks increase (most notably BCE Blue Cash, SPG, and Bus Golds) when cashlike GCs are purchased in very high amounts.  By high, I mean north of at least $2 or $3K.  At $10k or higher, the risks would likely increase another factor.

Glad of the edit, I was going to ask why BCE was riskier than BCP!    Not sure what your amounts mean though, most people shutdown had high monthly spends (or rather rewards) not necessarily buying large amounts of cards at once (which has become harder anyway)

There's a minor risk of FR when purchasing cashlike GCs in amounts of $2K - $3K at a time.  The risks become higher when purchasing around $10K per month.  Not sure if those parameters have changed, but it was I had noticed several months ago.  Haven't kept up with recent data points.

I don't think it's a high risk on the BCP, since Amex really couldn't care less with the cap in place.  To this day, I've never seen a BCP/BCE trigger an FR.

PS - Wasn't aware Amex had shut down some BCs with non-GC supermarket/drugstore purchases.

Message 17 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

College student or not, and regardless of your level of income, Amex isn't going to care about $6Ks of purchases.

Message 18 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

There's a minor risk of FR when purchasing cashlike GCs in amounts of $2K - $3K at a time.  The risks become higher when purchasing around $10K per month.  Not sure if those parameters have changed, but it was I had noticed several months ago.  Haven't kept up with recent data points.

I don't think it's a high risk on the BCP, since Amex really couldn't care less with the cap in place.  To this day, I've never seen a BCP/BCE trigger an FR.

First, I appreciate the informed feedback. However, I am sure the BCP/BCE can trigger an FR. If a charge card can, so can an account were your allowed to carry a balance. I also don't know if AMEX could care less. If you have 40k in income and start purchasing 10k in giftcards in a month, I'm sure AMEX cares. If they don't they would be tiddering on exiting the stage. I just suppose in this scenario it wouldn't be the purchased goods themselves/rewards they would be concerned about. Stating the obvious here I know, but I'm sure they've triggered FR you just have not heard of them because charge cards are considerably more common for FR. 

Message 19 of 47
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

First, I appreciate the informed feedback. However, I am sure the BCP/BCE can trigger an FR. If a charge card can, so can an account were your allowed to carry a balance. I also don't know if AMEX could care less. If you have 40k in income and start purchasing 10k in giftcards in a month, I'm sure AMEX cares. If they don't they would be tiddering on exiting the stage. I just suppose in this scenario it wouldn't be the purchased goods themselves/rewards they would be concerned about. Stating the obvious here I know, but I'm sure they've triggered FR you just have not heard of them because charge cards are considerably more common for FR. 

This thread is very confusing to me.

Why would you purchase 10k in giftcards if the limit is 6k?

And why would they shut down if you pay your bills?

Can they see that all youre buying is GC? and why does it matter if there is a limit?

And buying GC from cvs, why does that matter? why would u do that anyway there is no bonus?

This whole thread I just do not understand and I have read each post...

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.