Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BT question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BT question

How many BT does AMEX allow you to use example it states there is no BT fees associated with this offer if BT are requested @ time of application or within the first 30 days of card use. I got that  but I have like 3-4 different balances from seperate CC I want to BT all onto the AMEX card  will they allow this many transactions or not. If anyone has done this or asked AMEX this let me know as this will be the deciding factor if I app for the card or not. It is AMEX Clear Card. Thanks Credit 08
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BT question

Amex Clear has no fees of any kind ever, including BT fees.  That's the whole selling point of the card.
Message 2 of 10
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Tread cautiously with using Amex and BT in the same sentence!!

I just had to respond the unmentionable.. !
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SonorityGenius wrote:

Agreed!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys am I missing something here with AMEX I"ve never had a CC from them I read up on the card they are offering 5.99% fixed for life of balance. It"s not the best % rate but certainly not the worst either I assume both you and sonority have had dealings with AMEX before. If you care to give me any heads up I would appreciate it. I understood the card had no fees of any kind I am most concerned the # og BT"s AMEX will extend to me with this card? Thanks as always Credit 08
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit08 wrote:
Hello guys am I missing something here with AMEX I"ve never had a CC from them I read up on the card they are offering 5.99% fixed for life of balance. It"s not the best % rate but certainly not the worst either I assume both you and sonority have had dealings with AMEX before. If you care to give me any heads up I would appreciate it. I understood the card had no fees of any kind I am most concerned the # og BT"s AMEX will extend to me with this card? Thanks as always Credit 08

Basically it comes down to this:  Amex likes cardholders who PIF, and tend to hate it when cardholders carry a balance for very long.  Since BTs are usually for balances that will take some time to pay off, BTs and Amex are usually not a good combination.

Yes, Amex offers BTs, and they even offer promotional BT rates.  It's wise not to take them seriously, however.  It's all talk.  These forums are full of stories of people who were carrying a balance with Amex for months on end and ended up with account closure or credit limit decreases.  They are particularly fond of the tactic known as "chasing balances," which is where they lower your credit limit to about $200-$500 above your current balance, and proceed to do this over and over as you make payments and lower your balance over time.  Once the final payment hits and the card is PIF, they then close it altogether.

Do not BT to Amex any balance you cannot pay off in 3-4 months.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I see clearly now" sh!*can Insert Smileys that idea enuff said moving on to plan B,C,etc..!!!! Thanks for insider info. Credit08
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My buddy got FRd about 3 months after he BT $4000/$5000 CL. He ignored it and they closed his account. He is still paying it off and AMEX kept the 0% for him even after the account was closed.
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

SonorityGenius wrote:

Yup, I agree too!
Message 9 of 10
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@fused wrote:

@SonorityGenius wrote:

Yup, I agree too!

I triple agree!
Here we go again...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.