tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX Backdate Strategy (student)

Message 11 of 14
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

I seem to me that you have quite a few cards with a lot of limits. Do you really need that much credit and another card at the age of 18?

I would be very careful about taking out more credit. You should also be careful not to charge more than you can afford to pay in full. Please be wise with spending.

Also I feel a little nervous about your dad opening up a card in your name without your consent. That is fraud. He should never use your social security number to open any accounts/ utilities in your name. If anything should ever happen, you would be fully responsible for all the charges.
J
If you want to help him build his credit, you could add him as an AU to one of your current cards.

You seem to be doing a great job managing your credit. Keep it up and don't allow your family to ruin your credit!
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 12 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@OptimalCS

You nailed it. I, too am concerned about the opened accts by Dad.
Message 13 of 14
Matt4776

Thanks Guys!

I am not opening all these accounts for the now- but for the future. I want age on all the cards I plan to let grow with me (Disney, Discover, Amazon, and hopefully BCP). If I can actually get CLIs on the Cap1 and get the annual fee removed, I see no reason that can't stay also. I am very responsible with the cards I have, and have not not paid in full on any balance on any card since having credit.

While I am pissed at my dad (as his card really isn't one I planned to be in my long-term arsenal) I am not concerned about it ruining my credit. He does have a high income for his credit, and even if he maxes out the card (he's only at 8% atm) it's only $1500.

In addition, my girlfriend of four years has the Freedom, Discover, and Citi Dividend. We have our share of cash-back cards as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.