Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating Question

tag
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

AMEX Backdating Question

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I just don't want to dig through countless threads to find this specific answer. 

My online AMEX acct says "THANK YOU FOR BEING A CARDMEMBER SINCE 2000" just under my name at the top of the page after I login. 

My card however has 13 on it as the date. 

Will the acct report as '00 on it's own or do I have to have CS send me a new card with the '00 date? 

Personally I really don't care at all what the date on the card says, only what is reported. But if I need to get a new card, I will. 

TIA

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating Question

there is no way too really know until it reports. 

i would call and request a new card though. 

and double check that it will report correctly. 

like say i had a card back in 00 and thats what my online acccount says but the card i recieved doesn't have that date. etc.... 

its free so why not. and they might overnight it too you. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 6
withaspark
Contributor

I have not yet had any success with AMEX backdating...but in my case I guess there's not much to be gained.

When I log in it says cardmember since 2011; however, both AMEX cards I have have 2012 and show up in my reports with opened dates of the day I opened them. I called to ask to have all of my cards reflect my cardmember date (I was trying to avoid requesting backdating specifically) and they refused since my oldest account was a corporate card. Even with that, they still refused to update the most recent personal card to the first personal card open date (though it's only 3 months older). Maybe I just had bad luck.

Is it possible that the card your membership date is based on is not a personal card? Though, I've heard success with business cards counting...not sure if it matters.

Message 3 of 6
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Generally when someone hasn't been a member for a period of time the first card issued will have the member since date as the current year. If the online account is showing the correct backdated member since date then the credit report should show the same date as well.

Backdating to a corporate or business card will likely not occur. While my personal accounts, all issued in 2011 or 2012 report as opened in 1984, my business card shows a member date of 2012. Since the business card doesn't report on my credit report it isn't an issue anyway.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 6
jake619
Frequent Contributor

^^^^ this.  A gap in card membership will cause the card to print the actual acquisition year even if the online year reads backdated.  I called and asked for the card to be corrected but was told there is no reason to do this (outsourced call center).  I called the EO and they overnighted me a replacement.  Whatever, it makes no difference but to serve my ego anyway.

In addition, it reported to the CB's as opened 12/1995 as opposed to 12/2012.  It looks funny though because the monthly report status boxes are all missing.  Also, when backdating, the actual month is still used, only the year is backdated.  This is why some existing Amexers app in January.  They get the January month applied to the backdated year.  It's a game to be played.  

Message 5 of 6
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I applied in Jan 2013, was approved, card in mail says member since 13, online account says 1991.

First statement just cut, reported to EX, and account is reporting opened since 1/1991.  I am a happy guy.

I don't care what the card says, only that my AAoA took a nice jump, score increase too.

In March i will go for Amex reveolver, another backdate is in order on new card.  Again, I am so happy.

thank you to the members of this forum.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.