Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating Saga Continues …

tag
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

AMEX Backdating Saga Continues …

This story begins on the happiest day of the year for me:  06/22/2012.

It was on this day that after 6 years of no credit apps whatsoever, I was approved for my dream card:  Amex BCE with a $3500 CL.  What made it even sweeter is that this account would backdate to 2003 (I had a Green with Amex in college).    My card arrives, I check CRs, and see that the Date Opened reported on all 3 CRs is 2012.  I also see Member Since 2012 printed on the card and same when logging into my online account.  So I call Cust Serv, tell them the Member Since date is wrong, should be 2003, and they agree to correct.  A week later, a new card is sent to me with Member Since 2003 printed on it, my CRs show 2003, and online account shows 2003 as well.  I’m happy (for a while). 

I soon notice that the $3500 CL is not showing up on my CRs – it’s simply blank.  I call Cust Serv and they agree to correct.  A week later, I check CRs and see that they are reporting the $3500 CL but the Date Opened has reverted back to 2012 on all 3 CRs.  I check my online account, but oddly enough it still shows Member Since 2003.  I call Cust Serv and they confirm their system shows 2003 so they transfer me to the Amex Credit Bureau.  Well the CB dept tells me their system shows 2012, and they can’t change it, only Cust Serv can.  At this point, we’re going in circles, so at the insistence of the CB rep, we get on a conference call with Cust Serv. 

So now I have the CB rep, Cust Serv, and me on the phone (a conference call with AMEX?? – quite weird!).  Cust Serv tells the CB rep that their system shows Member Since 2003, the CB rep says his system shows 2012.  Neither rep knows what to do, and each rep starts asking the other what color screen they’re looking at, and start spewing acronyms that I don’t understand.  Call ends with the Cust Serv rep telling me a supervisor will call me back.  Hours later, I get a call from a Cust Serv Supervisor who tells me he will submit a case – no turnaround time given. 

On Friday, I call the Amex Executive Office and a pleasant lady agrees to look into the issue.  Today I get call back from her saying she located my account from 2003 and she would take care of the backdating.  TWO HOURS LATER same lady from the Executive Office calls me back and says she cannot backdate and she’s sorry for misinforming me.  Right now, I’m fuming.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating Saga Continues …

**bleep** did i just read?

Amex messing up backdate, then fixes it and messes up cl, then cant backdate no more.. i'd be cursing day and night.

If they found the 2003, why cant they backdate? They did it before..
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

They just need to submit it through the system again to fix it is my guess.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Whereis750 wrote:

This story begins on the happiest day of the year for me:  06/22/2012.

It was on this day that after 6 years of no credit apps whatsoever, I was approved for my dream card:  Amex BCE with a $3500 CL.  What made it even sweeter is that this account would backdate to 2003 (I had a Green with Amex in college).    My card arrives, I check CRs, and see that the Date Opened reported on all 3 CRs is 2012.  I also see Member Since 2012 printed on the card and same when logging into my online account.  So I call Cust Serv, tell them the Member Since date is wrong, should be 2003, and they agree to correct.  A week later, a new card is sent to me with Member Since 2003 printed on it, my CRs show 2003, and online account shows 2003 as well.  I’m happy (for a while). 

I soon notice that the $3500 CL is not showing up on my CRs – it’s simply blank.  I call Cust Serv and they agree to correct.  A week later, I check CRs and see that they are reporting the $3500 CL but the Date Opened has reverted back to 2012 on all 3 CRs.  I check my online account, but oddly enough it still shows Member Since 2003.  I call Cust Serv and they confirm their system shows 2003 so they transfer me to the Amex Credit Bureau.  Well the CB dept tells me their system shows 2012, and they can’t change it, only Cust Serv can.  At this point, we’re going in circles, so at the insistence of the CB rep, we get on a conference call with Cust Serv. 

So now I have the CB rep, Cust Serv, and me on the phone (a conference call with AMEX?? – quite weird!).  Cust Serv tells the CB rep that their system shows Member Since 2003, the CB rep says his system shows 2012.  Neither rep knows what to do, and each rep starts asking the other what color screen they’re looking at, and start spewing acronyms that I don’t understand.  Call ends with the Cust Serv rep telling me a supervisor will call me back.  Hours later, I get a call from a Cust Serv Supervisor who tells me he will submit a case – no turnaround time given. 

On Friday, I call the Amex Executive Office and a pleasant lady agrees to look into the issue.  Today I get call back from her saying she located my account from 2003 and she would take care of the backdating.  TWO HOURS LATER same lady from the Executive Office calls me back and says she cannot backdate and she’s sorry for misinforming me.  Right now, I’m fuming.

Wow....

I think I would keep pushing the issue with the executive office.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 16
Wahoo
Valued Member

Was your Green card in college a CO ?  If so was it settled or PIF'd?  Could be a contributing issue.

EX08: 832 (myFICO 10/07/14)
TU08: 806 (Walmart/MC 05/06/15)
TU08: 834 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ08: 830 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ04: 809 (Digital Credit Union 05/29/15)
Message 5 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Wahoo wrote:

Was your Green card in college a CO ?  If so was it settled or PIF'd?  Could be a contributing issue.

This is true.  I have heard of them backdating member date but not changing credit report for people in this situation.  Actually seems fitting, but I want you guys to get everything you can.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 16
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

My Green account in college was closed in good standing - no negative reporting.

UPDATE: Just got off phone with a Customer Service Manager. I explained everything - she was kind enough to patiently listen to me talk. She asked me to hold, came back and said she teamed up with another Manager who has been with AMEX for over ten years, the best explanation they could come up with is I don't get backdating because my accounts lack continuity, meaning since account was closed in 2003 and I didn't have any other Amex
Accounts from 2003 to the present BCE account then I don't get backdating. But don't worry, my card will show MEMBER SINCE 2003. Cause that's what really matters - SERENITY NOW !!!!
Message 7 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Whereis750 wrote:
My Green account in college was closed in good standing - no negative reporting.

UPDATE: Just got off phone with a Customer Service Manager. I explained everything - she was kind enough to patiently listen to me talk. She asked me to hold, came back and said she teamed up with another Manager who has been with AMEX for over ten years, the best explanation they could come up with is I don't get backdating because my accounts lack continuity, meaning since account was closed in 2003 and I didn't have any other Amex
Accounts from 2003 to the present BCE account then I don't get backdating. But don't worry, my card will show MEMBER SINCE 2003. Cause that's what really matters - SERENITY NOW !!!!

That sucks, it's been hit and miss with backdating lately.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 16
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 16
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Starting to get feeling that Amex is tightening backdating policy. Sadly, the four Cust Serv reps, two managers, one Amex CB rep, and one Executive Office rep I spoke to all seemed to be completely unaware of backdating or recently trained to disallow it.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.