Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating question

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

AMEX Backdating question

I recently had an AMEX backdated to my member since date of 2009. Will it show on my report as if it was opened in Jan of 2009 or March 2009?  It was backdated to my corporate platinum card which was opened in 3/2009.

When I log into my new account it just shows memebr since date of 2009...so wasnt sure how that works in terms of month reported.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
flan
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating question

The month that account was opened in.  Not the original account.  Yes, that means your second card can appear to be older than the original. 

Message 2 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. Month opened plus year from your member since date.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 13
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Got to love Amex.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 13
Ailee92

month you openned the account + member start year

ideally if you openned your account in January it would have the most benefit, if you openned it in December it'll have the least amount of benefit. Although if you backdated quite a while it's still nice no matter which month the account was openned. I openned an account in December, and a new one in January and got a nice 12 months backdating.

Message 5 of 13
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

+1

That's what I did: apped for my first AMEX in December 2012, I want to ap for the platinum business revolver in jan 2014 for max back dating Smiley Happy
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 6 of 13
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@GaTech wrote:
+1

That's what I did: apped for my first AMEX in December 2012, I want to ap for the platinum business revolver in jan 2014 for max back dating Smiley Happy

No need to wait since business accounts don't report on personal credit reports unless there is negative information.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 7 of 13
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

How does backdating actually look on a credit report? I just backdated my husband's Amex to when he was an AU on my Amex. Will the 'open date' of his 2 Amex's actually change on the credit report? Regarding the information on the report for the time between the backdate and when he actually opened the card(s), will there just be 'no data' or 'unknown' (as opposed to 'OK') listed under each month?

Message 8 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

How does backdating actually look on a credit report?

No idea with your situation.  My BCP opened in March this year originally reported as opened on my member since date (1998) -- no need to change it.

@RhubarbPie wrote:

Regarding the information on the report for the time between the backdate and when he actually opened the card(s), will there just be 'no data' or 'unknown' (as opposed to 'OK') listed under each month?

I only have OK's beginning when the BCP was opened.

Message 9 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

How does backdating actually look on a credit report? I just backdated my husband's Amex to when he was an AU on my Amex. Will the 'open date' of his 2 Amex's actually change on the credit report? Regarding the information on the report for the time between the backdate and when he actually opened the card(s), will there just be 'no data' or 'unknown' (as opposed to 'OK') listed under each month?

If you've "successfully" backdated (where your husban'd online account shows "member since AU date,") then it should; but, I've seen some cases where people have had to contact them for a manual update for existing cards.  This process is hit or miss, at best.  Hopefully, they'll update automatically.

On your second question, on the few reports I've seen, it has been "ok" on EQ, but "no data" on Ex and TU; however, I'm not sure if the few I've seen is enough of a sample size to make sweeping generalizations.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.