Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating

tag
tsu1112
New Contributor

AMEX Backdating

Hello,

Today I was approved for an AMEX Green. I had an AMEX Green card back in 1986 and closed the account a couple of years later. I would love to have this backdated to that time. My questions is: Should I call them now, before getting the card in the mail or wait until after?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating

I called them a day after I was approved., they will just send you new card with 'Member Since 86'. You will get both cards but you can shred the one that say memeber since 11.

Message 2 of 11
manyquestions
Established Contributor

You can wait till you get your card, then set it up online and see what the website lists for your membership date.  It the website lists 1986, you don't have to do anything because that is the date that will be reported.  If the online date says 2011, then call the number on the back of your card and ask for card replacement services.  They should be able to find your original account in their records and will usually set your original membership date on your account and also send you a new card with the original membership year.

Message 3 of 11
tsu1112
New Contributor

thank you very much for the info.

Message 4 of 11
tsu1112
New Contributor

Well today I set up my online account and it says "Welcome James X XXXXXXXX, member since 1987. My card says 2011 but oh well. I am so happy, that is 24 years worth of history.

Message 5 of 11
manyquestions
Established Contributor

That's huge!  Congrats!

Your credit report will show the 1987 opening date, but you can still call card replacement services and tell them that you just got a new card and it came with a 2011 date and you would like to get a replacement card with your original membership date of 1987.   Should be a 2 minute phone call and another fun day when the card shows upSmiley Happy.

Message 6 of 11
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Thats fantastic !!! i was recently approved for a ZYNC and Plaitnum....

Now heres a question...

When i got the Zync they gave me a temp card i could use immediatly with a $250 limit that would turn to no preset when i get the card, when i registered that online it said member since 2011. When i got the actual Palt card, i registered that one and now my member since online says 1991 WHOO HOO!!!!Smiley Very Happy

When i got the actual Zync card and registered it the member since still says 1991. both cards say member since '11 do you think both cards would report as '91 ?

2 cards with 20 years AOAA would just be lovely !

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
tsu1112
New Contributor

That is awesome dnice. I think manyquestions would be the person to answer your question. He/She seems very imformative on the subject.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to the forum, but have a question about backdating in general.  Are there any down sides to asking them to backdate (if they have not already)?  About 2 years ago, I sucessfully completed consumer credit counseling, and am down to just one negative item on my CR (which should fall off in Feb)...but years ago, when I was young and irresponsible, I had a an Amex green card account charged off for some minimal amount.  Would this negative history then show up on my CR?  

I just applied for, and got approved for, an AMEX Zync card.  I just want to make sure I'm not asking them to do something that will negatively impact my credit rating...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Message 9 of 11
dnice77
Regular Contributor

dont do anything Smiley Happy

IME i had a similar situation as you. i got my card, it said member since 11. i registered online and it said member since 1991, one of my card hit my reports today and it sayd opened 10/91. i dont really care about the card member date, even though the member since 91 would be cool. it wont help my score...

So when you get your card and register, if it says your original member since date then you should be fine. if it doesnt then you may want to call them.

Now... if you got your zync today and you activated the temp card, it may say member since 2011 but when you get your real card it will change, or should change.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.