Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blacklisted?

tag
DawgZ
Contributor

AMEX Blacklisted?

I believe I maybe blacklisted from a previous account I had with them that my old employer set up for me for a card for expenses. I was let go and there was a balance on the card and I filled out my expense report but the company did not pay the bill and of course I did not find out until it had gone to collections. I did pay off the collection with AMEX. Now I can't seem to get aproved but they don't say BLACKLISTED on the denial letter. The only reason I am interested in getting a card is for the generous CLI.

Is there a program they offer to rebuild the trust with them?

My Wallet - Cap1 Visa Signature $13k, Chase Saphire Prefered $13.5k, Well's Fargo Rewards $10k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC $6.5k, Cap1 Quicksilver V $4k, Chase Freedom $9k, Discover IT $7.5k, Amex BCE $34k, Amazon/Chase $2.5k,PenFed V $10.5k, Amex Green

EQ 810(Fico), EX 806 (Fico), TU 815 (Fico)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Blacklisted?

I'm not sure, but have you tried calling them? What does the denial letter state?
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DawgZ wrote:

I believe I maybe blacklisted from a previous account I had with them that my old employer set up for me for a card for expenses. I was let go and there was a balance on the card and I filled out my expense report but the company did not pay the bill and of course I did not find out until it had gone to collections. I did pay off the collection with AMEX. Now I can't seem to get aproved but they don't say BLACKLISTED on the denial letter. The only reason I am interested in getting a card is for the generous CLI.

Is there a program they offer to rebuild the trust with them?

If you are blacklisted they won't pull credit and it will instantly deny and the letter will say "previous Amex relationhsip or account handling" something rather... and you won't get that if you pay them.

Looking at your sigi, it's your credit that is the issue, it's rare for people around the 650 EX to get an Amex and if they do it's going to be a charge card first not a revolving account... Work on the baddies on yoru report and get up over 680 I would suggest before applying again for a Green or Gold Charge and that still depends what your past baddies are.

Message 3 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

It's hard to give an opinion without more information.  Such as AAoA baddies etc. But looklng at your current scores and credit limits you must have a short rebuilding, building history. In my opinion you not black listed it appears your scores are a little low. If you paid the previous account in full I'm confident you will get back in one day. Good Luck in your credit journey!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 8
39Xelor
Established Member

As others have stated, it's your scores  (provided that your reports are clear of any derogs other than the original Amex issue) that are keeping you from obtaining a new Amex. You need to garden the cards you have and check your scores in about 6 months and see where you stand. Also, depending how old your current cards are you may want to try for some CLI's with them first too... They will help your scores grow and will help your util.

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 5 of 8
JonStur
Established Contributor

No need to beat a dead horse. Everyone has given you good advice. You've come a long way from your beginning scores, add about another 50 or so and you will be in better shape in my opinion...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 6 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

If your EX score is 652, I think one of their charge cards is within reach. Back when they gave me PRG I had a 656. Revolvers like Delta Gold you want to be over 680 closer to 700 with a healthy income.

If you're applying for one of their revolvers you may want to consider going for a charge card, show 6-12 months of good usage then apply for a revolver. That worked out well in my case.
Message 7 of 8
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Similar boat.  10 year old Business Gold OPEN with a balance that went unpaid. As it was a business card, it never showed directly on any of my personal reports. Amex did remember that I owed the debt; they _never_ sell a debt. Any third-party collectors are working on behalf of Amex.  If your name was on the card and there is still a balance, you probably owe them the money.  You can call the EO, give them the account number, update all your contact information with them and see if they will mail you a statement. They may try to make you talk to a collection agency.

I paid my nearly 7 year past-due balance late last year directly to Amex. Just got a five digit limit personal Amex card this month.  They don't "blacklist" but they will deny anyone with open balances due and/or poor credit.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.