Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% Cashback...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% Cashback...

I talked to a rep today and she mentioned that there is no longer a minimum threshold to meet in order to get the cashback on this card but my question is this, since it says on the website :

"Get 6% cash back at supermarkets, 3% cash back at gas stations and department stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases."

Is there any way to be able to get the 6% cashback from a gas station that was connected with a SuperMarket, such as a WalMart, HEB, CostCo, SamsClub, or any other supermarket that had a gas station connected with it like most do today? 

If not, what about purchasing Gift Cards at those places for the amount of a fill-up in order to take advantage, since their pumps will usually take a gift card from their store....would the purchase of a gift card be eligible for the 6%?

The only reason I ask, is because when I get ready to apply for an Amex, I would love to get 6% back on gas purchases, even though the 3% isn't that bad.

I drive a truck that takes a lot of gas, so I usally fill up about once a week at $100 a tank.....and most of it is reimbursed to be for work anyways...that's an estimated $5200 a year in gas alone, and 6% of that sure would be nice.

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere else...thanks guys!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% Cashback...

For the gas coneced to supermarkets, it depends on how the purchase is coded. I know GetGo in PA (which is with the Giant Eagle supermarket) counts as gas. Also, just a note about the 6%, usually stores like WalMart and Sams Club are not coded as supermarkets so they are just 1% back.

As for the gift cards, purchasing them at the gas station would just net the default 1% is just for gas purchased at the pump. However, if your supermarket carrys gift cards, they come under the 6% supermarket purchase cashback.

Message 2 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Stores like Walmart is coded as warehouse, as such it is not entitled for 6% cashback.

Supermarket = grocery store.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm hoping smaller chains such as HEB, or Randalls are coded as grocery stores in my area in Austin TX, because most of them all have gas stations as well, so their gift cards would work at the pumps I'm prety sure. 

Thanks for the heads up....anyone out there know if purchasing gift cards that way is frowned upon?  I suppose they would never know unelss you were buying same amounts each time for large amounts at a time.  Has anyone been sucessful with this?

Message 4 of 15
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Buying gift cards at the grocery stores is totally legit from what I know.

Message 5 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'd start with a small gift card purchase just to make sure it didn't go through as a cash transaction and get charged as a cash advance.  I doubt that would happen with a grocery store purchase, but I would probably start out that way to be sure.

Do the cards have any kind of activation fee?  If so, you'll have to weigh that into your rewards purchase.

Some cards can actually be exchanged for cash, so you could buy those and get your money back then pay your bill.  But I'm guessing i f you started doing that in large volumes (even small volumes?) you might find yourself in their crosshairs.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I'd start with a small gift card purchase just to make sure it didn't go through as a cash transaction and get charged as a cash advance.  I doubt that would happen with a grocery store purchase, but I would probably start out that way to be sure

I've never heard of such a thing, ever. If any CCC did this it would likely be all over the news.

Message 7 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

I'd start with a small gift card purchase just to make sure it didn't go through as a cash transaction and get charged as a cash advance.  I doubt that would happen with a grocery store purchase, but I would probably start out that way to be sure

I've never heard of such a thing, ever. If any CCC did this it would likely be all over the news.

It's rare, but not unheard of. My local grocery store DOES treat gift card purchases as cash advance (so they can get away with interchange fee).

Message 8 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

It's rare, but not unheard of. My local grocery store DOES treat gift card purchases as cash advance (so they can get away with interchange fee).

And I realize this isn't a grocery store, but see also http://thepointsguy.com/2011/05/mr-pickles-guest-blog-post-using-big-crumbs-to-get-cash-back-on-cred...

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that article is pretty interesting...and I think I understand what some of yall are talking about when they "might" treat it as a cash advance...

This would make sense to me if you are purchasing a gift card with a "VISA, MC, or AMEX" logo on it, because you could theoretically get cash from it somewhere else..

I guess the real question here is would a normal gift card to the same store you were at be eligible...because it seems like you could just buy a $100 gift card, and then a pack of gum to make the purchase a not so stand out number...to make the total come out to $101.59 or something....then go use that "Store" gift  card at their gas pumps, which many places let you do.  I guess that's what I was really trying to get at, and not so much to use it to purchase a LOGO gift card that would be used anywhere...I could see where that could be treated as a cash advance purchase..

If that does work, then I would think the 6% AMEX Blue Cash could be one of the best cash reward cards out there...?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.