Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Cash question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Blue Cash question

Hey folks! For those of you familiar with AMEX Blue Cash, do you know if a store like Meijer would count as a grocery store? I'm contemplating applying for the card for the grocery cash back but since I do all my shopping at Meijer I want to make sure it would be useful to me. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Blue Cash question

It does. No doubt there.

Edited*

I had used my BCE at Meijer -  Bloomingdale, IL. It showed up on my stmt just fine.

Message 2 of 12
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

It depends on the store/code, but I’ve seen a post or two that that store doesn’t count. I wish I had the link...mod?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you typically pay tat that store using a debit card or another card, check how it is listed in your online banking.  For example, by me there is a gas station that - even if I buy a pack of gum and a snickers in the store -it will code my purchase as gas rewards-wise.  And if I go to 7-11 and shop inside it is coded as retail. Actually kinda helpful to know lol. 

Message 4 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

AMEX specifically lists Meijer as a store that's included as a supermarket.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

If you typically pay tat that store using a debit card or another card, check how it is listed in your online banking.  For example, by me there is a gas station that - even if I buy a pack of gum and a snickers in the store -it will code my purchase as gas rewards-wise.  And if I go to 7-11 and shop inside it is coded as retail. Actually kinda helpful to know lol. 

Amex's merchant category can be a lot different from the ones for Visa/MasterCard for the same merchant. 7-11 would code as gas station/service station for Citi Visa cards; Amex code them as grocery but only earns 1x reward for BCE. Target is grocery store for Citi Visa, discount store for Chase Visa, and wholesale store for Amex. Steam can be video game arcade or digital goods-video games for Chase Visa, while Amex simply code them as online purchase. So the merchant category you see from one card can be different from another.

Message 6 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Target's actually a superstore for AMEX's purposes. You can't really go by the the code, though. The way merchants qualify for elevated rewards is somewhat more restrictive than the coding.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be correct that Amex codes them as a superstore. The only thing I remember is that it's grocery for Citi Visa cards but definitely codes as something other than grocery for Amex. Haven't used Amex at Target for a while so I can't remember the exact category. 7-11 should be an example where Amex gets more restrictive for the extra rewards, since the stores are coded as grocery store but don't earn extra. Also I think nowadays the items you buy may sometimes play a role.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your responses! Just found the link on their website where they list Meijer as an example of a supermarket. Now my next question is can I get more than one AMEX card in a week? Just got approved for Delta Skymiles. Hmmmm...

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Thank you everyone for your responses! Just found the link on their website where they list Meijer as an example of a supermarket. Now my next question is can I get more than one AMEX card in a week? Just got approved for Delta Skymiles. Hmmmm...

Yes, but it's unlikely to get approved for more than one Amex credit cards during the same day. You may get luck if you app on different days. You can get 1 cc and 1+ charge card on the same day, though.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.