Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CARDS CLI

tag
bigbang91
Established Contributor

AMEX CARDS CLI

Guys, i need input with my Amex accounts. So i will reach the 2nd 181 days CLI for my Amex evryday in March. However, i just got approved for the Delta Gold today, my question is does the 61 days for my delta card start from today, or i can request 3x CLI by my 181days in March? 

Also, my Amex ED cli is 20.1k,of which 5.4k moved from my BCE. Should i choose to ask for CLI increase on my ED instead, say 30k,would that trigger documentation request form? 

My other option would be to request CLi increase on my oldest Amex, the BCE, its CLI only 600 due to the move i mentioned above. Is it possible to ask for 10x amount, 600 to 6000?

Aside from Chase, with total CLI 34k,Amex is my 2nd biggest lender, currently total 22.7k,all my other card average at 8k

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX CARDS CLI

@bigbang91 wrote:

Guys, i need input with my Amex accounts. So i will reach the 2nd 181 days CLI for my Amex evryday in March. However, i just got approved for the Delta Gold today, my question is does the 61 days for my delta card start from today, or i can request 3x CLI by my 181days in March? 

Also, my Amex ED cli is 20.1k,of which 5.4k moved from my BCE. Should i choose to ask for CLI increase on my ED instead, say 30k,would that trigger documentation request form? 

My other option would be to request CLi increase on my oldest Amex, the BCE, its CLI only 600 due to the move i mentioned above. Is it possible to ask for 10x amount, 600 to 6000?

Aside from Chase, with total CLI 34k,Amex is my 2nd biggest lender, currently total 22.7k,all my other card average at 8k

Go to helpful threads on the first page of this credit card forum and click the guide about the 3x CLI. That should answer all your questions. The income verification is triggered at different times for different people. If your card is at 20k and you are asking for 30k it may trigger an income verification request. It varies person to person, but I think a rule of thumb is like 25k or something on one card and 34k or something across all cards, but it is not a hard rule. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 9
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I read the thread, no mention of my situation. I want to know if the 61 days start from the day i open my new card, or from the 181 days mark for my old card

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigbang91 wrote:

Let me try to hit all your points.

1) Your 61-day counter for your Delta Gold has started.

2) You should be able to request the 181-day CLI regardless of what you plan to do with your other card. So if you want request CLIs for both and they're at the right time, you probably can. Just be smart about it because of the point #5.

4) Many people have been able to get a CLI to $30,000 without being asked to verify income but some have had to. Proceed with caution, but it's no big deal.

3) Amex, like all lenders, has an internal limit for you. I personally would not ask for a 10x CLI on the BCE card, but they'll probably give you a counteroffer.

6) If you don't have a feasible need for all this credit, you probably shouldn't push your luck. I don't know what your income is, but it should be able to support all the requests you're making. That's why Amex asks for it.

7) I said all these things assuming your accounts are in good standing. 

Message 4 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@bigbang91 wrote:

Many members have reported having success earlier than the 61st day for initial CLI.   However, normally, I think if your 61st day falls after your 181st day, you'd have to wait for the 61st day for that account.    Alternately, you could request the 181 day CLI on the ED and reallocate some of the CL once the Delta hits 61 days (provided you've passed the 13 statement mark on ED).  

AFAIK, the CLIs are limited to 3X.   So you'd only be able to asked for $1800 total on the BCE

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

I read the thread, no mention of my situation. I want to know if the 61 days start from the day i open my new card, or from the 181 days mark for my old card

The guide does cover that.

Amex does NOT increase an account's credit limit during the first 60 days after it has been OPENED, or for at least 6 months from the last credit limit increase.

Though it really should say "and" instead of "or".  Both matter.  You can't request a CLI until the 61st day on the new card.  You also cannot request a CLI until 181 days from the last CLI on any of your cards.  The answer for the new card is whichever is later.

@bigbang91 wrote:

It may it may not.  Experience varies on this.  Are you looking to avoid the 4506-T?  If it pops up you'll have to deal with it at some point for CLI's in future anyway.

@bigbang91 wrote:

Covered in the guide as well.

• Requesting CLI > 3X current limit results in automatic denial. Letter in the mail indicates that credit limit cannot be greater than three times the current limit. So American Amex credit limits are capped at 200% increase. Update: Requesting CLI > 3X no longer results in automatic denial. If the account is eligible for CLI, then new limit is counter offered keeping the 200% cap in effect(meaning CLI counter offered will not exceed 3X current limit under any scenario)
Message 6 of 9
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Takeshi74<= 1.some people seem to get their CLI increase b4 61 days so the guide didnt cover the new change. 

And yes i hope i can avoid the form, dont want to send all that information to Amex

Message 7 of 9
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Thanks HamSupLo

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigbang91 wrote:

Thanks HamSupLo

You got it dude.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.