Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CC Gift Card Deal Tip

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX CC Gift Card Deal Tip

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:
@Open123 can I ask what AP stands for? I figured it has something to do with your money saving techniques, but I can't figure out exactly what!

Yes, Amazon Payments!  Sorry, since frequenting this board, I've gotten caught up in all the acronyms.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Longtime and Open, thanks for the tips! My brother and I each opened the AP account so a.) my brother can send me the $400 (2 $200 payments) and b.) my brother said he can get some use out of the account anyways since he's a freelance photographer/videographer on the side.

One last question: any fees on either end for AP? Or as long as it goes through as goods/services we're in the clear?
Message 12 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:
Longtime and Open, thanks for the tips! My brother and I each opened the AP account so a.) my brother can send me the $400 (2 $200 payments) and b.) my brother said he can get some use out of the account anyways since he's a freelance photographer/videographer on the side.

One last question: any fees on either end for AP? Or as long as it goes through as goods/services we're in the clear?

doing a to b and b to a is pretty dangerous for AP. Or are you doing a to b to c . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Yes, just ensure you select "goods/services."  Currently, Amazon charges no fees of any kind, and I've yet to run into a CC which treats this as anything other than a purchase conferring full rewards.

Lurker makes an important point, where unless you go through what he suggests, you'll be left with a 7 - 10 day period where $1.00 will be held when amazon verifies the Amex GC.  For some reason, this never occurs with Visa/MC GCs.

Message 14 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

doing a to b and b to a is pretty dangerous for AP. Or are you doing a to b to c . 

Right, you send to your brother, but don't have him send it back to you.  He can either send it to another person, or withdrawl the funds.

Message 15 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Right, you send to your brother, but don't have him send it back to you.  He can either send it to another person, or withdrawl the funds.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you two!

My brother is going to to send me the $400 via 2 $200 gift cards, so it's just A --> B. He did not want any part of the GC deal, and since he's an AU on my account, I'm utilizing it for myself.

So it'll be two $200 payments using longtime's tip to avoid the $1 pending charge from my brother's AP --> my AP. My brother was willing to open the AP account to send me the money because he can use the account for its intended purposes in the future if clients want to send him payments that way.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.