Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CHARGE CARD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CHARGE CARD

Will a Charge card from AMEX hurt my score in any way--heard some talk that it can as they ONLY report usage and that looks like  the account is in arrears? What s the real scoop here AMEX Charge card users...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CHARGE CARD

actually its the opposite, it can help your score cause it doesn't count towards your utilization so its like hiding your balance through your charge card. You still get positive scores through fico factors like  payment history and age of account.

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Only outdated scoring models penalize you for NPSL. That's why in ancient times we would run up one month to the highest possible "high balance" to give ourselves future util padding. Modern scoring models don't factor in charge cards in utilization. Other than the same new account and AAoA dings you would get with a revolver, nothing more negative about a charge card.
Message 3 of 4
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I let a $7k balance report on my prg and i didn't see any ill effects. My score actually rose due to carrying a balance i believe. Doesn't affect my uti either. I did receive a high balance notification but that's all. 

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.