Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLD TWICE!!!

tag
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLD TWICE!!!

MidnightVoice wrote:

And the 50/50 CLI/CLD is from all reviews - including those from people dancing on the luv button. 

Good point. It was mentioned that 20% were reviewed in a year's time. Many of those reviews were probably triggered by luv button dancers.   BTW: I can't wait to call someone a luv button dancer.  Smiley Very Happy

Many people report CLDs without going near the luv button. How many people report getting a CLI without requesting one?

How many people are reporting CLDs after requesting a credit line increase? How many are reporting getting CLIs just for the asking?  Maybe the unhappy 50% is simply more vocal than the ones who are getting the increases. 

MidnightVoice wrote:

That info actually comes from an AMex in-house presentation that is well hidden on their site.

I would be interested in reading that source. I am sure however that Amex does not back up any claims with supporting statistics. Just because a financial company (who happens to be having financial difficulties of its own)  makes a claim on its website, doesn't make it true.

It would be impossible to prove the claim one way or the other without providing data which would fall into the category of a "trade secret."

My whole point is the percentages are really irrelevant since there is no way to prove that they are true. Anything the lending institutions say these days should be taken with a grain of salt. They can't even trust each other enough to lend money to each other.

Amex's public relations venues have one objective. That objective is to enhance Amex's image. Plausible explanations of CLDs, that counter negative assumptions about  Amex, will definitely be made, whether an explanation is true or not. 

I mean no offence, but simply quoting percentages doesn't make them valid. I am positive that my statement is true at least 84% of the time.  Smiley Tongue

...er on the other hand I could be 100% wrong. Smiley Indifferent

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are reports on other boards from people who have hard limits (showing online, even) for Amex charge card products, including Green and One.
Message 12 of 22
wmarat
Valued Contributor

MV, mind posting link.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Skiffy wrote:
There are reports on other boards from people who have hard limits (showing online, even) for Amex charge card products, including Green and One.

Yes- Amex set a limit on my "no pre-set limit" Gold rewards at $2400  - it's now sitting at a zero balance for now.
Message 14 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Sorry, it was a long time ago and I have lost it.  But the 80/20 abd 50/50 were there in the presentation
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 15 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

Just because a financial company (who happens to be having financial difficulties of its own)  makes a claim on its website, doesn't make it true.

This was not really a claim on its website.  It was a well hidden, in-house presentation (audio and slides) about how Amex was responding to the current situation.  No one would find it ny accident!

Message 16 of 22
Established Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

This was not really a claim on its website.  It was a well hidden, in-house presentation (audio and slides) about how Amex was responding to the current situation.  No one would find it by accident!

How did you find it? That is definitely something I would like to  check out. If you can't provide a link, can you at least point me in the right direction?. Thanks
Message Edited by CreditAble on 10-15-2008 02:54 PM
Message 17 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

This was not really a claim on its website.  It was a well hidden, in-house presentation (audio and slides) about how Amex was responding to the current situation.  No one would find it by accident!

How did you find it? That is definitely something I would like to  check out. Can you provide a link or at least point me in the right direction?. Thanks

I think the link was posted somewhere in the news section

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the point of this MV? And where did you find this information on their website?

For information in case anyone is interested.  The changes in what Amex is doing are very interesting - historically they had 80%CLis to 20% CLDs, now it is 51/49.  Also the CLDs for high outstanding mortgage balance, areas of big house price drops etc.
Via Pizza's link:

Unfortunately it is no longer available, so I guess you will have to take my word for it!

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLD my Optima account from $35,000 to $15,000 and then from $15,000 to $7,500 (2 months later).

CLD my Cash Rebate card from $10,000 to $1,000.

CLD my Plum Card from $7,500 to $1,500.

They then put a $10,800 (weird number) limit on my no-limit Green Card which has been (which I pay off often).

This was the same week they approved me for a clear card (which they called me on) for a CL of $5,000, which they then immediately reduced to $1,000.

When I called the CSR he told me that something drastic appeared on my Experian report and that I had too many inquiries, too high credit limits overall, blah blah (listed pretty much everything that a script could list).

So I mentioned him that I figured it had to do with the fact that we have a Countrywide Loan (not subprime, but a jumbo with 40% equity post price drops - not that the CR shows this).  So I continued to go on about my CR not showing any negatives (I had it in front of me), and that my FICO is 745.  After a bit of arguing back and forth about the economy and credit crunch, he said to me, well all of your creditors must be reducing my lines, which is not a case, Amex has been the only creditor.

So again after arguing a bit more, he slipped and said that because of the credit report review and my Countrywide loan, it was in AMEX's best business interests to tighten my credit.  He said I could send them my most recent Experian report and they might reconsider.

I typically run $10k plus a month through the AMEX green account (for my business), and it's paid in full every month.  I'm still completely perplexed by AMEX, and I've since changed all of my purchases away from AMEX to DISCOVER.

Message 19 of 22
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So again after arguing a bit more, he slipped and said that because of the credit report review and my Countrywide loan, it was in AMEX's best business interests to tighten my credit.  He said I could send them my most recent Experian report and they might reconsider.

Hi califman, welcome to the forums!

A Countrywide mortgage is known to be a trigger for AA from Amex. At least the CSR was nice enough to eventually be honest. Sorry to hear about your CLDs. 

Here we go again...
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.