Super Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI 7 Day Letter

@09Lexie wrote:
I'm watching this one too

Me tooSmiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 21
tray
Valued Contributor

To the OP I am in the same boat as you, I also requested a cli from Amex on Saturday and received the 7-10 day message as well, which to say I was kinda of shock saying what is going on now because all my cli's with Amex have been with approvals  I requested the cli on my Costco Amex it was even only for $1,000.00 I will not be doing a recon with this, I will have to see what the letter states for me and will repost but to me this is a sign to now keep low pay my cards off and hit the GARDEN!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

For your trip to Europe, its best to go with a visa / MasterCard that had no FTF. Discover and American Express are not as widely accepted over there. It's best to get a card with a chip too if possible to avoid inconveniences.

More importantly, bring cash lol. Certain parts of Europe prefers doing transactions mostly using cash.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

I am not too thrilled with AMEX as my CSP has GREAT customer servive and already did an auto increase. Looks like AMEX would make more money from interest...LOL.

I originally got it because I really liked DL and combined with my SunTrust debit card which gives you DL miles, I have been racking up points fast.When I spoke to the CSR, he rattled off have a dozen reasons that I could have been denied, none of which I felt were true. I think it's because I have a balance as another member stated. I just won't use the card that much and pay off the balance as I already have enough points for a RT business class ticket to Europe.In 90 days I will ask for a CLI with NO balance. I will also repost when the letter comes. Sorry that happened to you also.

Still may creep out of the garden!!!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 15 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

I like the "bring cash" comment!  I know that is true

My Citi card has a chip so that is good. As you can see, I love the CSP but Chase said they had no plans to implement a chip into their cards. As I already have 11K CL on my Citi card, I feel like maybe I shouldn't ask for a CLI.

Any suggestions? (Wish I had your credit profile)

THX

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Message 16 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

What are ERT's? Sorry, to be ignorant...LOL.

AMEX has disrupted my usual reasoning powers!!!

Message 17 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

ERT=Emergency Response Team

For those who are thinking of apping when they are supposed to be in the garden
Message 18 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

I am not too thrilled with AMEX as my CSP has GREAT customer servive and already did an auto increase. Looks like AMEX would make more money from interest...LOL.

I originally got it because I really liked DL and combined with my SunTrust debit card which gives you DL miles, I have been racking up points fast.When I spoke to the CSR, he rattled off have a dozen reasons that I could have been denied, none of which I felt were true. I think it's because I have a balance as another member stated. I just won't use the card that much and pay off the balance as I already have enough points for a RT business class ticket to Europe.In 90 days I will ask for a CLI with NO balance. I will also repost when the letter comes. Sorry that happened to you also.

Still may creep out of the garden!!!

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

Hi!

Today I received my wonderful denial letter from AMEX. Perhaps someone could give me their take on the following:

Reasons for denial:

1) Your FICO score. My score was reported as 704 by Experian. What I don't understand is that I had checked the EX score that day and their website said my score was 741.

2) Length of time you have been a customer with AMEX is too short. Reading the boards, how do so many people get the 61 day CLI's?

3) The number of credit card accounts with balances as indicated by EX. I have 6 accounts and 3 reported balances. Balances were no where near CL.

Any info would be appreciated!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.