Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI (!) BUT CONFUSED ABOUT CLI REQUESTS

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

AMEX CLI (!) BUT CONFUSED ABOUT CLI REQUESTS

So excited!! Never asked for Amex CLI. but after reading another recent post about automated increase procedure,  dedided to give it a try.  Have always been hesitant as never saw request button on line so thought maybe I wasn't eligible.

Asked for increase from $6K to $10K on Blue and got instant yes. I'm jumping for joy as my next highest limit is $7500, so this is monumental for me!!

Got brave and decided to try on Delta also, and asked for add'l $2900 (7500 from 4600) and got instant denial advising can't have more than one increase in 6 months.

With Amex can you only have 1 increase every 6 months on any card, and not every 6 months per card? 

Sorry if this is one of those "too often" asked questions; I just  must have missed or forgotten this from previous posts.If that's the case, guess I have to wait til after December to ask for  CLI on Delta (IF I get up the nerve to try again!)

Balances on both cards  at time of CLI was 0, don't use either very heavily, overall utilization around 30% and scores are in lowish  700s (last TU was 714 and EX used to run pretty much the same as TU and I assume they looked at EX).

Hope someone can enlighten me!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI (!) BUT CONFUSED ABOUT CLI REQUESTS

@rom828 wrote:

So excited!! Never asked for Amex CLI. but after reading another recent post about automated increase procedure,  dedided to give it a try.  Have always been hesitant as never saw request button on line so thought maybe I wasn't eligible.

Asked for increase from $6K to $10K on Blue and got instant yes. I'm jumping for joy as my next highest limit is $7500, so this is monumental for me!!

Got brave and decided to try on Delta also, and asked for add'l $2900 (7500 from 4600) and got instant denial advising can't have more than one increase in 6 months.

With Amex can you only have 1 increase every 6 months on any card, and not every 6 months per card? 

Sorry if this is one of those "too often" asked questions; I just  must have missed or forgotten this from previous posts.If that's the case, guess I have to wait til after December to ask for  CLI on Delta (IF I get up the nerve to try again!)

Balances on both cards  at time of CLI was 0, don't use either very heavily, overall utilization around 30% and scores are in lowish  700s (last TU was 714 and EX used to run pretty much the same as TU and I assume they looked at EX).

Hope someone can enlighten me!!

That is correct - you can only have one CLI every six months with Amex (no matter how many cards you have). I also found out when I received my Costco card, I could not get a CLI after 60 days (since I had a CLI on my Blue 4 months before). They explained althrough new accounts technically can request a CLI after 60 days, Amex will only allow 1 CLI per member every six months.

Message 2 of 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Just curious, you went from $6k to $10k....what was your util % before the increase? How much of the $6k you use monthly on that card? Do you PIF each month?

Message 3 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Nice one Smiley Happy a 5 figure TL from Amex may also be beneficial for maximizing future CLI and product requests with other lenders. 

+1 to PP can request CLI only once in 6 mnth period, not per card, but across all Amex products.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 6
rom828
Established Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

Just curious, you went from $6k to $10k....what was your util % before the increase? How much of the $6k you use monthly on that card? Do you PIF each month?

Overall utilization about 30%.  Just paid the card off; only owed $300 which was balance remaining from BT done in '08 when I first got the card.  BT was about  $4K and that's all I ever put on this card.

I use my Amex Green quite a bit and the Delta very seldom.

Message 5 of 6
rom828
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

Congrats! Nice one Smiley Happy a 5 figure TL from Amex may also be beneficial for maximizing future CLI and product requests with other lenders. 

+1 to PP can request CLI only once in 6 mnth period, not per card, but across all Amex products.

Thanks, score and USguy!! 

Very, very happy to finally have a CL w/2 digits in front of the commaSmiley Very Happy

Should have brushed up on the Amex CLI rules before I requested the 2nd one.  Hope that doesnt come back to haunt me in some way eith them!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.