Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI DECLINED BECAUSE OF TOO MANY INQUIRIES

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

AMEX CLI DECLINED BECAUSE OF TOO MANY INQUIRIES

Hi,

I have been with amex since 2012 when I got the gold charge card and in 2013 I got my blue cash everyday credit card.

After 60 days I did the 3x CLI and was approved and now I've been having this card with $13,200

Last month I tried to CLI to $24,500 (under 25k) and the only reason I was denied for, was too many recent inquiries.

My balance is 0

On Experian I have 5 inquiries, but 3 of them are from January.

On Equifax I have double, but I know Amex checks all the time my experian so I'm confused

When should I try again? I talked to customer service and they told me I can apply for CLI anytime I feel like. and that the 60 or 90 days wait between CLI is false information.

The only time you have to wait is when a CLI is approved, than you can only request another one after 6 months.

Any personal opinion on what I should do ?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI DECLINED BECAUSE OF TOO MANY INQUIRIES

I can tell you wait between cli is true. I recieved a 3x cli on my personal blue cash and a month later tried to increase my  Simplycash was declined  due to increase on my blue  cash.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 2 of 12
kchengg1
Contributor

The second (under 25k) AMEX CLI after the 3x CLI is considerablely harder to get than the first AMEX CLI. 

Wait for some inquiries to drop off and try again

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 3 of 12
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Will I be approved if I would apply now for a new card with AMEX ?

My experian fico is at 746

16% UTI

no collections or late payments

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 4 of 12
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I was denied for inq too. They were all AMEX pulls too. Unauthorized pulls.. B@stars lol
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 12
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps 5 inquiries are too many for Amex? As for the "wait time" the rep is correct. You can apply anytime you please BUT it doesn't mean you'll be successful. I think the wait time often referred to here is great advice for best results.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 6 of 12
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

Hi,

I have been with amex since 2012 when I got the gold charge card and in 2013 I got my blue cash everyday credit card.

After 60 days I did the 3x CLI and was approved and now I've been having this card with $13,200

Last month I tried to CLI to $24,500 (under 25k) and the only reason I was denied for, was too many recent inquiries.

My balance is 0

On Experian I have 5 inquiries, but 3 of them are from January.

On Equifax I have double, but I know Amex checks all the time my experian so I'm confused

When should I try again? I talked to customer service and they told me I can apply for CLI anytime I feel like. and that the 60 or 90 days wait between CLI is false information.

The only time you have to wait is when a CLI is approved, than you can only request another one after 6 months.

Any personal opinion on what I should do ?

If you were truely declined then it's 90 days before you can ask for another CLI

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 7 of 12
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Maybe the 3 inquiries within the last 3-6 months is too many, not the total number of inqiries.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Maybe the 3 inquiries within the last 3-6 months is too many, not the total number of inqiries.

That is what i wish to know.

Message 9 of 12
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

3 doesn't seem much at all

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.