Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied Again

tag
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

AMEX CLI Denied Again

Second time that I request a CLI on my BCE and was denied again.. And, just received a letter asking for my taxes? I don't know what their deal is, they are making it difficult to move forward with them. The only reason I have them was because of the backdating to increase AAoA. I might just cancel my cards with them, really not worth the bother, especially with all the limits that I have now!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Denied Again

FR'd
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 15
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Yep, they don't like me either.  I've tried for two CLI on my BCP, and been declined both times.  However, the first was an instant decline and the second was a 7-10 day message.  Maybe something's gettin' better?  In any case, I just placed it in the sock drawer - plan to focus on my new CSP and make sure I hit the $3000 spend requirement so I can get my 40,000 bonus points.

The funny thing is that I was approved with a 701 score and >30% utilization on about 10 cards.  I've now got my utiliization down to 6% on only three 0% BT cards, and that's still no good.  I've not gotten my FR letter yet, but that really wouldn't surprise me, either...

I'm not sweating it either way.  I'll keep paying down debt and try for the CLI every 90 days - it will happen sometime.   

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 3 of 15
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I'm not giving them anything, I'll just take my business elsewhere!

Message 4 of 15
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 5 of 15
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Wow, sorry to hear.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 15
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with AMEX. I never have had any negatives in nearly thirty years with them. I can say from eperience, that I believe thay have one of the best/most accurate/ and intensive evaluating programs internally of any company. The do have a HIGH BAR and want to keep it that way. Anything of any value comes with effort or everybody would have it. Kinda like Sony vs Acer computers or a BMW vs Yugo. There are differences! AMEX does a lot of soft pulls so they always know where you are credit reporting wise and I have heard, they will excercise the right to close your account if you get behind on other credit instruments. I am willing to bet they have almost zero collection and  charge off accounts. The record speaks.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 7 of 15
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with AMEX. I never have had any negatives in nearly thirty years with them. I can say from eperience, that I believe thay have one of the best/most accurate/ and intensive evaluating programs internally of any company. The do have a HIGH BAR and want to keep it that way. Anything of any value comes with effort or everybody would have it. Kinda like Sony vs Acer computers or a BMW vs Yugo. There are differences! AMEX does a lot of soft pulls so they always know where you are credit reporting wise and I have heard, they will excercise the right to close your account if you get behind on other credit instruments. I am willing to bet they have almost zero collection and  charge off accounts. The record speaks.

I disagree. I think a lot of people on these boards idolize Amex but I would say that lately, they haven't been very picky.  People have been getting in with 680 FICO scores, and were being awarded Zync cards with $200 limits. Maybe on these boards Amex seems picky because a lot of us have had credit problems in the past, but i dont think Amex is that difficult (like Iberia or Simmons for instance).

Also, like the OP, I'm perfectly fine closing my account and using my other credit cards if they ever decide to FR me. I live in a foreign country and I always end up having nightmares dealing with the IRS and other offices just to get simple things accomplished. Im fine with my other credit cards and will save myself the headache.

Message 8 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Though I am happy to be in the good graces of Amex again, I would also drop them the instant they required additional paperwork. 

I have other lenders offering me credit now; most important amongst them, my credit union.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Credit Risk Management is an ongoing process for any bank... And Amex actually is an industry leader with a 1% or less default rate... While many other banks have had up tp 10% default rates in the past few years. Delinquency rates in general on credit cards are at several year lows, so indeed the credit markets are improving.
Otoh, if Amex FRs me, I will refuse, tell them to check my report for creditworthiness concern, and close if necessary. They are one of my lowest limits, besides Crapital One. Sure, my Amex BCE is a pretty card with great features, but many other credit providers will do their job without requesting your first born or basically auditing your finances. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.