Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Predicament?

tag
blk8
Regular Contributor

AMEX CLI Predicament?

Just recently applied, and was approved for the SPG from AMEX with a starting CL of $5500.

On November of last year, I applied and was approved for the Delta and Hilton cards from AMEX, both with a starting limit of 1K. On day 61, I went for the 3x cli on my Hilton and was approved (now at 3k limit).

My predicament: My 6 months will be up around the same time my 61 days will be up with my new SPG card. Do I go for the 3x cli on the newly aquired card or do I have a better chance doing it on my established Hilton card? What are the pros and cons if denied with one or the other? If denied, can I resubmit on my older card?

I'd also like to reallocate some of my credit and wasnt sure if both cards have to be a year old or not? Thanks.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Predicament?

@blk8 wrote:

Just recently applied, and was approved for the SPG from AMEX with a starting CL of $5500.

On November of last year, I applied and was approved for the Delta and Hilton cards from AMEX, both with a starting limit of 1K. On day 61, I went for the 3x cli on my Hilton and was approved (now at 3k limit).

My predicament: My 6 months will be up around the same time my 61 days will be up with my new SPG card. Do I go for the 3x cli on the newly aquired card or do I have a better chance doing it on my established Hilton card? What are the pros and cons if denied with one or the other? If denied, can I resubmit on my older card?

I'd also like to reallocate some of my credit and wasnt sure if both cards have to be a year old or not? Thanks.

You can choose which ever card you want, but be sure to know that you can only request it on one card per 6month, and if you get deny you can wait 90 days and try again.

You can read this =D

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/1811071

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 2 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

IIRC, the donor account had to be at least 13 months old and the recipient account had to be at least 61 days old.   However, some have reported success with partial allocations at different timeframes, so YMMV.  

If age wasn't a factor, it seems like it'd make more sense to do the CLI on the card with the highest CL (SPG) and reallocate it as you need.  If age is a factor, then CLI on the Hilton would make the most sense.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 6
blk8
Regular Contributor

My only concern is which account do I have a better shot at getting approved.

The new 61 day CLI or The established account.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 4 of 6
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

@blk8 wrote:

My only concern is which account do I have a better shot at getting approved.

The new 61 day CLI or The established account.

There's no way to tell because Amex have their own algorithems, worse case scenario you will get a counter offer, or deny. Even if you are deny you can try again in 3 months. And you just need to choose with card you would want the CLI more.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 5 of 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

No way to tell... choose the card that you want to have the larger line. If you choose the 5.5k one and get 16.5 or whatever the number is if it's the year old card, you should be able to reallocate some of the line over to the other. Just have to figure out which one makes more sense to you.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.