Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

liz20 wrote:
I don't know, I don't feel too confident as to try it again anytime soon.

When did you do that? long time ago or recently? has anyone else done this with similar results?

I have no doubt the previous poster had success with that.

However, there is an acronym that those of us with Amex cards should always have in mind when dealing with them.

FUTR = Fly Under The Radar.

The less you can do to draw attention to yourself, the better.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Message 11 of 19
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

My experience with Amex is:  they suck.  Who cares about good customer service when they have jacked up fees, FR's, loads of softs on your report and getting a CLI is like pulling teeth.  I mean it's just a credit card.  They act like you want to marry their daughter or something.  Very invasive and no better than any other card, IMO. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 12 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

unknown_entity wrote:
My experience with Amex is:  they suck.  Who cares about good customer service when they have jacked up fees, FR's, loads of softs on your report and getting a CLI is like pulling teeth.  I mean it's just a credit card.  They act like you want to marry their daughter or something.  Very invasive and no better than any other card, IMO. 

Funny...  AMEX gave me my lowest rate currently, most of their revolvers have no AFs, softs on your report are pretty commonplace in the credit game and I've heard they are VERY generous with CLIs...

I do agree from my experience so far they aren't any better than any other card, but I haven't had any of their more prestigious charge cards, so I dunno.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

However, there is an acronym that those of us with Amex cards should always have in mind when dealing with them.

FUTR = Fly Under The Radar.

The less you can do to draw attention to yourself, the better.

AGREED!
FUTR works for me.

I am happy with my AMEX account.  I use my card often and pay even more often.
I don't ask AMEX for anything.  I don't call customer service. I don't hit the luv button.  I just charge and pay.  They don't AR me often, either.  I've only had one AR.

I think I'm below the radar and I'll just stay where I am.  If they decide I'm worthy of a cli, it will be automatic.  I will not ask.

Message Edited by esshua on 06-25-2008 05:03 PM
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Esshua, what AMEX card do you have?
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditqueen wrote:
Esshua, what AMEX card do you have?

Hilton Honors Amex $10K limit Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like FUTR = Fly Under The Radar.

Let's have Barry add it to the common abbreviations Smiley Very Happy
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP- you would not be the first nor be the last to be denied a CLI at 3 months-

It took me 6 months-
Message 18 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I agree with the recommendation to FUTR.  I believe most of the problems people have with AMEX is they try to get too much, too soon.  Just work on it slowly.  It's not like you absolutely require additional CLs.  In my experience you can't game AMEX, they are more clever than you, and more conservative.  Time and prompt payment is your ally.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.