Reply
Established Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-21-2008
0

AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

I just hit the AMEX luv button minutes ago after 3 months with the card, paying in full every month with a highest balance about $700 on $1500 CL. Asked for $6k CL (maybe too high). Got the 7-10 days message...uhmmmmm. I'm not happy at this moment, but a least it was only a soft pull. Now, I'm scared to ever hit the luv button again.
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

[ Edited ]


liz20 wrote:
I just hit the AMEX luv button minutes ago after 3 months with the card, paying in full every month with a highest balance about $700 on $1500 CL. Asked for $6k CL (maybe too high). Got the 7-10 days message...uhmmmmm. I'm not happy at this moment, but a least it was only a soft pull. Now, I'm scared to ever hit the luv button again.


Yep, you asked for too much.  They will grant max CLI bringing you to 3x your current limit, so the most you should have asked for was $4500.  Try again in a few months.


Message Edited by cheddar on 06-25-2008 07:46 AM
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor
Posts: 570
Registered: ‎03-29-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

[ Edited ]
I thought you should only ask for up to 3x your present CL. Wouldn't this be 4500 ???
If you get a denial you could call and try to ask for less maybe, say it was a nervous finger jerk because you were worried asking for a CLI might initiate a FR.

I hope it works out or try again in a few months.

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 06-25-2008 07:52 AM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Established Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-21-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

Yeah, will do next time. My mistake. I actually wanted my CL to be increased to that amount, that's why I asked for that (needed to use $3k on that card and wanted to have at least 6k avail). Will wait some more time I guess. Do I need to wait 6 mos now or just another 3 which will make it 6 months with the card? Thanks.
Established Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-21-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

You think it will be a good idea to call and maybe tell them if I can get $4k? I'm not sure about this. I think it will be best to leave it alone. I have other cards with the available money, it's just that this card has 0% APR on everything (BT and purchases) for a year, that was my main reason even though I was planning on paying in like 3-4 months. 
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!



liz20 wrote:
You think it will be a good idea to call and maybe tell them if I can get $4k? I'm not sure about this. I think it will be best to leave it alone. I have other cards with the available money, it's just that this card has 0% APR on everything (BT and purchases) for a year, that was my main reason even though I was planning on paying in like 3-4 months. 


I would leave it alone.  You've already been declined, so you need to give it a few more months before you try again.
 
It would probably be best to pay off the balance you're carrying before you ask again, too.
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!



liz20 wrote:
Yeah, will do next time. My mistake. I actually wanted my CL to be increased to that amount, that's why I asked for that (needed to use $3k on that card and wanted to have at least 6k avail). Will wait some more time I guess. Do I need to wait 6 mos now or just another 3 which will make it 6 months with the card? Thanks.


The policy is no CLI prior to 60 days on a new account, and no more often than every 6 months after that.
 
Since you were declined and didn't receive a CLI, technically you don't need to wait, but it's never a good idea to ask for too much too soon from Amex.  Give it three months at least, I would say.

 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-21-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

Thanks a lot. Will do that. I don't carry a balance, I always PIF. The balance I mentioned there was my highest balance on the card, not the balance I owe at the moment. I usually pay most of the balance before getting the bill, then pay the remainer when I get the bill.  My bal. at this time is about $184, but nevermind, will just wait a few months and maybe I feel like trying again, or not. Thanks for all the replies.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 348
Registered: ‎06-27-2007
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

You can hit the luv button again... I did the 1st time I requested a CLI .. I asked for 10,000 got the 7-10 message then hit it again  asking for 7,500 the same day and was approved instantly.
 
 


Starting Score: 576
Current Score: 724
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-21-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

I don't know, I don't feel too confident as to try it again anytime soon.
 
When did you do that? long time ago or recently? has anyone else done this with similar results?

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.