cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI at 61...Carrying a balance luck?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI at 61...Carrying a balance luck?

I've read in the forums that people have been successful at getting a CLI on 61+ Days, but most stories included their card paid in full. 

Has anyone received a CLI on the 61 day while carrying a moderate balance/ utilization? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI at 61...Carrying a balance luck?

I did not get a CLI at 61 days. Now I have been carrying a balance and every single time I've tried for a CLI since then, they have mentioned the balance (35% UTI) and the amount I'm paying towards it (minumum). Because the interest rate is 0% I was only paying a bit more than minimum and they don't like that. Starting next month, I'll be tackling the AMEX as it was next on my list anyway. 

Message 2 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: depends on your credit profile. Depending on how much the balance is and what type of payments you've been making AMEX has no issues really with having a balance when requesting a CLI. Obviously, PIF is great but with sizable payments they're fine with that too. What is tricky is with 61 day CLI requests that along with taking their internal risk score when the system processes your request it will sometimes also use the original HP at time of app if you're a new customer (that's the assumption I'm making here with you) as well. So, it can be a YMMV situation at times.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dilemma is that I need to purchase my plane tickets for an upcoming disney world trip in december and not only do I have to hit my Amex Platinum charge $5k bonus but also hit my $3k Bonus for my Platinum Delta by January. My oustanding balance is $800/$1400 ($195 AF was just charged) and I have NPSL on my Plat. I was thinking of using my bonus to pay the plane tickets using the Platinum charge card because 5x Points and conversion 1:1 with Delta, but at the same time, I wouldnt want my 61st day with my AMEX Delta Plat (12/12/17) to have a high utilization. I was wondering if assuming good variables (No late payments, 0 derogs, overall utilization is 40ish%,), would it possibly happen. Only thing that can possibly ding me is that I opened 4 new accounts in October, but hopefully that wont count against me. Thanks for all the input!

P.S.  I would need the 3x CLI for dining purchases at disney world.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would worry about meeting SUB requirements first & just spend according to what's going to net you the most rewards (ie delta tickets on delta card) and do the 3x CLI later if you're concerned about balance at time of request. Nothing says it has to be at 61 days, just no earlier.

The part about needing the 3x for dining confused me a bit. Are you saying you need the increased limit in order to be able to spend on dining while at Disney? Like you can't otherwise afford to eat while in the park? Because if this is the case then you're "doing it wrong" regarding credit use and should reevaluate the entire trip.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I carry balance 25% when I requested 3x CLI and approved.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You probably need 9xCLI if you're buying food at Disney World.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would personally never recommend that anyone request a CLI if their utilization is above 28%.  That's already at the worse end of the second best utilization tier.  My personal opinion is that having reported utilization in the 1%-9% range is best.  I think the second best would be on either side of that, meaning the 9%-28% range OR if you reported 0% utilization on the card.  I think different lenders can look at these two utilizations different ways.  Anything above 28% though, IMO, means you aren't giving yourself anywhere near the best possible look going into the CLI request.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My dilemma is that I need to purchase my plane tickets for an upcoming disney world trip in december and not only do I have to hit my Amex Platinum charge $5k bonus but also hit my $3k Bonus for my Platinum Delta by January. My oustanding balance is $800/$1400 ($195 AF was just charged) and I have NPSL on my Plat. I was thinking of using my bonus to pay the plane tickets using the Platinum charge card because 5x Points and conversion 1:1 with Delta, but at the same time, I wouldnt want my 61st day with my AMEX Delta Plat (12/12/17) to have a high utilization. I was wondering if assuming good variables (No late payments, 0 derogs, overall utilization is 40ish%,), would it possibly happen. Only thing that can possibly ding me is that I opened 4 new accounts in October, but hopefully that wont count against me. Thanks for all the input!

I just got back from 4 days in Disney World for 3 people and I had the hotel/plane/rental car/breakfeast were all paid by sign up bonus points.  I still spent over 2k at Disney so the good news is you will be well on your way to meeting you spend bonuses.  You can pay your Amex card multiple time a month. I have an SPG that has a 1k limit that I spent 3k+ in one month on it.  Just paid it several times a week.  It is annoying but they wouldn't give me an increase when I got the card as I just got an increase on my BCE and they only do one increase per 6 months. 

Also I got my 3x credit increase on my BCE at 2 weeks. So you dont have to wait 61 days to request CLI. 

One more thing on my SPG with 1k limit. I had 800 dollars on the card and did a check spending power for a purchase of 1500 dollars and it said it would be approved.  So you could check that way as well.  Of course your credit report would show you being over the limit which might not be the best.  

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you need the 3X CLI for Disney I would rethink the trip.  I love Disney and DW are planning  to go to a convention there.  You know the motto "Stickem up by golly"  The prices drive my nuts.

At 61 days we increased the limit on DW BCP from $15K to $20K That is all we wanted. At that time we had been carrying a balance due to 0% finance under 20% utilz and making several thousand a month payments. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.