Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI denied!

tag
Tikon
Established Member

AMEX CLI denied!

AMEX BCE. Had the card 6 months now, put about $14000 through it with a $5400 credit line. used the online feature to request increase to $16,000. Got instant email saying declined. I called them and they said I was denied outright and not eligible for any CLI!

What!

I asked to speak to an underwriter and they said I would receive a secondary decision in the next few days.

I thought AMEX CLI was a sure thing? No derogs in my credit report now, very good credit card history. I had the no interest for 6 months thing so I wonder if carrying a balance here and there on the AMEX killed me?

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI denied!

Why would you think that an Amex CLI was a sure thing?  They certainly aren't.  Carrying a balance could have something to do with it, but for whatever reason, Amex isn't willing to extend you any more credit at this time, or atleast their computer isn't.

Message 2 of 31
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

If one this is for sure, is that nothing with AMEX is "for sure". I think it has more to do with your current CL. They all hover around the $5K mark. Nothing wrong with that, but AMEX may not want to take the risk to offer you almost 3X as much as your highest limit. Usually the 3X works if the CLI is not far from you current highest line of credit. The bad thing about AMEX is that they don't do counter offers, meaning that you may have to wait another 3 months to ask for a CLI. If this happens, I would ask for $10. Good luck either way.

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 3 of 31
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

If there's one thing I've learned on this forum it's to never transfer or carry a balance on the revolvers if you want a cli.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 4 of 31
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Don't feel bad, I wasn't granted a CLI at the magic 61+ day mark either (I didn't request the full 3x either).  I think it happens if your EX has gone up but not sure,  I have read they do in fact sometimes counter though, but only if the system feels you're eligible.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 31
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

No offense, but you're not 'entitled' to CLI much less a massive one like that. People on here get really greedy with the 3x amount it seems

Message 6 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

No offense, but you're not 'entitled' to CLI much less a massive one like that. People on here get really greedy with the 3x amount it seems

+1. A CLI is never a sure thing regardless of lender. Why would anyone even think it's guaranteed?
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 31
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

I agree. Raising the limit 3 times is a big jump not everyone makes.

Amex is good overall and specially at CLI but they are not guaranteed.

The internal eligibility must be the matter. Maybe you get it next time in 3 months.

Btw, have you received a CLI before? Remember it's 6 months after last CLI, not after account activation.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 31
FrugalRican
Blogger

Look around on the boards, you'll see a lot more CLI denials from AMEX than you initially thought there were.

I was one of them as well.

From what I had read, carrying balances was one of the no-no's for AMEX.

Good news is, you can try again in 3 months, but a CLI is NEVER a sure thing with any lender.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 31
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Actually that is a very good point.  We see alot of cli success stores from amex and it seems like way fewer denials.  However, there are just as many denials as approvals folks just don't post their denials.  Anyway,  folks see everyone getting 3x clies and they feel like they deserve one to.  5k to 15k is a huge jump and I think Amex will give you that kind of cli when amex feels your ready for it, GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.