Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI denied!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI denied!

I think it was crashem that taught me about the Amex counter on the CLI request.

Message 21 of 31
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh, I believe it lol I've just never had it happen. I do remem GECRB countering with higher limits lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 31
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone had luck with larger 3X CLI?

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

also denied from 21.5k to 35k @ 130k/yr

Message 24 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Tikon wrote:

AMEX BCE. Had the card 6 months now, put about $14000 through it with a $5400 credit line. used the online feature to request increase to $16,000. Got instant email saying declined. I called them and they said I was denied outright and not eligible for any CLI!

What!

I asked to speak to an underwriter and they said I would receive a secondary decision in the next few days.

I thought AMEX CLI was a sure thing? No derogs in my credit report now, very good credit card history. I had the no interest for 6 months thing so I wonder if carrying a balance here and there on the AMEX killed me?

Amex does not love you to carry a balance... Smiley Sad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 25 of 31
Tikon
Established Member

Got my one and only reason:

Your overall debt with other creditors listed in your credit bureau report and the credit limits on your American Express Cards in relation to your reported income.

I have no inquiries past 6 months, 2k on a 20k car loan, ~2k in credit card balances on 54k total revolving credit, and 45k in student loans. Everything is in good standing and no late payments. My AmEx line was 5400, asked for 16,000.

I guess student loans are toxic to amex CLI chances.

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 26 of 31
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

What's your income?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just joined to report that I also just got denied a CLI request. I have 3 AMEX cards (5k, 5k, 10k), last one added a little over 6 months ago. I have 9 total cards with 65k total limits, 12% utilization, 6k balance on one 0% card, no late payments ever, and 782 on CreditKarma. 12k student loan debt. 

I've requested a few CLI's from AMEX in the past and always had them immediately accepted. I'd never asked for 3x my current limit though. This time, at 6.5 months since adding that last card, I requested a CLI from 10k to 25k. Immediately rejected with this message:

-----------------------

We were unable to approve the amount you requested.

Reason(s) for Our Decision
Your overall debt with other creditors listed in your credit bureau report and the credit limits on your American Express Cards in relation to your reported income.

-----------------------

It's a bummer. I guess I shouldn't have asked for so much, but I'd heard so much about the 3x standard and every other request had been immediately accepted, so I expected great things. 

Is it 3 months to wait before requesting again after a denial? Or 6 months?

Message 28 of 31
djrez4
Established Contributor

90 days after a denial, supposedly.  After my phone call today, I'm not so sure it's a hard rule.

Message 29 of 31
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I personally have a cold-hot relationship with AMEX.  Every few years they aggressively send me offers, I eventually cave and we're in love again.  Then a few months go by and they piss me off, I cancel them and we hate each other for a while.  Cycle repeats itself over and over.  This time I'll just let them go away.

Don't take anything for granted with American Express, never feel like they owe you anything because as soon as you do they'll show you they could care less about you.  Enjoy the credit limit you do have and try to start growing your others

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.